Le Chameau Chasseurnord Wellingtons a warning....

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Paul D

Re: Le Chameau Chasseurnord Wellingtons a warning....

Post by Paul D »

Dunlops for me too,had mine years with no problems. :Thumb:

Colonelgsc
Roach

Post by Colonelgsc »

Scott wrote:If you'd asked me 6 months ago what I thought of these boots I'd have sung their praises from the roof tops, comfortable, stylish, hardwearing, quality.....

....I bought my first pair back 2007 (they cost £125 then, the price has risen steadily year on year, they're £235 now) and they lasted until last summer when, naturally, I decided to replace them like for like. The first time I wore my new boots, fishing a small local beck, they leaked, left boot, bottom of the full length zip. I returned them and was given another pair, that afternoon I fished in them and they leaked again, same boot, same place. These were returned and I was given a third pair. They seemed to work fine until last week when low and behold, same leak, same place.

There was no way I was accepting a fourth pair so instead went for the 'lesser' model, the Vizernord, which, without the zip, shouldn't present a repeat problem...

That said, I'm rather saddened that a model of boot that I once adored I simply cannot own anymore...

I contacted Le Chameau after the second leak, they said I'd been 'particularly unlucky'...

Anyone else had similar experiences?
I've had exactly the same problem, Scott, but mine took longer to show itself, so I'm stuck with them. I got them from John Norris when I worked at the EA, as I was unable to get my feet into ordinary boots following surgery on both my big toes ( nothing macho....just bunions). A lot of money for something not really fit for purpose.

On the recommendation of a local guy who does landscape work, I'm looking at 'Muckboots' now......a lot cheaper too :Thumb:

"If you can wait, and not be tired of waiting......" Kipling

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

I stick to the cheap brands including Dunlops - they are reliable and if they do develop a leak I just get a new pair - you would have to buy a lot of cheap ones before you've spent the equivalent of a top brand pair.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

I purchase a pair of "muck boots" last year ..they are truly wonderful..warm feet ..comfortable and best of all , the lining doesn't follow when you take your feet out :Thumb: I think they was about £90 ish..but in my opinion worth every penny
As you can see I haven't got round to cleaning them from my last dangling trip :Chuckle:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Julian wrote:I stick to the cheap brands including Dunlops - they are reliable and if they do develop a leak I just get a new pair - you would have to buy a lot of cheap ones before you've spent the equivalent of a top brand pair.
I'm with you Julian, for the sort of fishing I do it does not warrant a descent pair. A pair of Dunlops for 10 or 15 quid lasts me two or three seasons.

But there are some nice expensive ones out there.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Dave Burr wrote:I dislike wellies and prefer walking boots for general fishing and waders for paddling but, were I return to the rubber boot I cannot think of any reason to pay over a hundred quid on them :shocked: it just seems excessive. Am I missing something? Are they super comfortable? Breathable? Do they make the tea for you? Am I so out of touch? :Confused:
You're not out of touch Dave, I prefer walking boots to be honest, but when you spend all day at work in the elements 5 or sometimes 7 days a week a nice pair of wellies keeps a smile on your face....... :Chuckle:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

RBTraditional wrote:
Dave Burr wrote:I dislike wellies and prefer walking boots for general fishing and waders for paddling but, were I return to the rubber boot I cannot think of any reason to pay over a hundred quid on them :shocked: it just seems excessive. Am I missing something? Are they super comfortable? Breathable? Do they make the tea for you? Am I so out of touch? :Confused:
You're not out of touch Dave, I prefer walking boots to be honest, but when you spend all day at work in the elements 5 or sometimes 7 days a week a nice pair of wellies keeps a smile on your face....... :Chuckle:
Of course, work boots are a different thing to fishing gear and I can see why you may go for an upmarket boot as wellies are a bit basic.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

I'm sure Mr Crabtree wore Gates "Argyll" which I've used for some time and would recommend. A good basic, well-lasting welly!

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

Until very recently I wore steel-toecapped wellies that came with a job in an oil refinery 30+ years ago.
Served me famously until I went for a paddle on the banks of the flooded Darenth a few weeks ago and they suddenly became porous!
Still, a fabulous bargain.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Muck boots get my vote, the most comfortable, toasty warm boots I've ever owned, I really can't fault them.
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”