Le Chameau Chasseurnord Wellingtons a warning....

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Scott
Tench

Le Chameau Chasseurnord Wellingtons a warning....

Post by Scott »

If you'd asked me 6 months ago what I thought of these boots I'd have sung their praises from the roof tops, comfortable, stylish, hardwearing, quality.....

....I bought my first pair back 2007 (they cost £125 then, the price has risen steadily year on year, they're £235 now) and they lasted until last summer when, naturally, I decided to replace them like for like. The first time I wore my new boots, fishing a small local beck, they leaked, left boot, bottom of the full length zip. I returned them and was given another pair, that afternoon I fished in them and they leaked again, same boot, same place. These were returned and I was given a third pair. They seemed to work fine until last week when low and behold, same leak, same place.

There was no way I was accepting a fourth pair so instead went for the 'lesser' model, the Vizernord, which, without the zip, shouldn't present a repeat problem...

That said, I'm rather saddened that a model of boot that I once adored I simply cannot own anymore...

I contacted Le Chameau after the second leak, they said I'd been 'particularly unlucky'...

Anyone else had similar experiences?

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Le Chameau Chasseurnord Wellingtons a warning....

Post by RBTraditional »

Scott I had a few problems with Le Chameau and Hunters, I think most are made in the far east or China now and thus quality has been compromised. I'm now using Aigle and thus so far no problems. I live in wellies as I work outside and appreciate reliability and hard wearing attire.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

I have the cheaper pair and am very, very happy with them. However I have heard that the zips are prone to leaking, and that la chameu after sales support is diabolical.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

St.John wrote:I have the cheaper pair and am very, very happy with them. However I have heard that the zips are prone to leaking, and that la chameu after sales support is diabolical.
If you are looking at Boots/Waders you cannot beat old style Gates even if there are second hand just sold a pair of Gates Streamfisher Waders with Cleat sole.Fetched £70.plus postage.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I'm using cheap Dunlops, old fashioned and basic, and I'm happy with them. They certainly don't leak.

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

FarliesBirthday wrote:I'm using cheap Dunlops, old fashioned and basic, and I'm happy with them. They certainly don't leak.

I am very sure that most of the old style waders/boots are better than the new ones being made today that were Made in England did mean that you was buying quality.More often a trade name has been sold and then made in China.Very sad.Price reduced not always, quality reduced yes.

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

FarliesBirthday wrote:I'm using cheap Dunlops, old fashioned and basic, and I'm happy with them. They certainly don't leak.
I'll second that and at under a tenner.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Thumbs up for the cheap Dunlops. A good fit, cheap and no leaks. I'm not too worried about the cold as I still have my submarine issue thick white socks, ideal.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I dislike wellies and prefer walking boots for general fishing and waders for paddling but, were I return to the rubber boot I cannot think of any reason to pay over a hundred quid on them :shocked: it just seems excessive. Am I missing something? Are they super comfortable? Breathable? Do they make the tea for you? Am I so out of touch? :Confused:

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

They are amazingly comfortable, mine have been fantastic and they look smart. But mine are the cheaper ones (£90).
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”