Boot recommendation

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
MGs
Pike

Boot recommendation

Post by MGs »

When it is particularly wet, I wear wellies or waders. However, I am looking for some waterproof lace up boots. I have had a couple of pairs of Goretex fabric walking boots, which I was pretty disappointed with as they started leaking after a few months.
Therefore I am looking for a pair of boots which don't leak and will keep my feet dry (preferably leather - although open to suggestions).
My budget is fairly limited, so anything over £100 is out. Something that can be used for walking/hiking as well as short trips to fishing spots would be handy. Any recommendations?
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Woolly Bear
Chub

Re: Boot recommendation

Post by Woolly Bear »

Jack pike boots :Wink: ,not sure of the correct up to date price . W B . :Hat:

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Recently got myself some new safety boots for work, now that rigger boots are not quite banned but certainly frowned upon on construction sites ( i believe they are banned on offshore rigs ) i've been looking for an alternative and found these by Caterpillar and i have to say what fantastic boots they are ( no connection etc ) right from the off they are comfortable, fit really well and with the laces and zip are a doddle to put on and take off. The first time you put them on, just do the laces up normally, from then on, just use the zip simple and easy These are so comfy that i've been wearing them out and about and walking the dog, i really can't praise them enough and they will now be my go to boot for bimbles along the shore and in the woods, lovely and warm for fishing as well. Well worth the money i reckon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Footwear-Sup.../dp/B0067Z9TZE
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I have a pair of these. They are absolutely brilliant. My feet have never get wet or a hint of cold.

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p107717-skee-t ... scsWX8gGSM
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Meindl Island or one of their hunting boots http://www.frankonia.de/393098/349220/p ... MM_ENG_ADS. I know they are much more expensive but they´ll last you a long time and keep your feet dry especially when you also want to use them for hiking. When my friends´ Meindl boots lost their soles (after + 10 years of abuse) when climbing a munro some years ago he said: "I´ll send them back, it´s unacceptable!". I was laughing at him (I was still walking in Hanwags) and said that the boots were just end of life. Meindl repaired them for a very, very small charge (I believe it was less than 20 Euros) and he is still using them. Best, Bobby

Grazy

Post by Grazy »

Any good leather walking boot will do the job, I usually put plenty of dubbin on mine to soften them up and keep them waterproof, for keeping the cold out get some thermal insoles or even neoprene socks. I tend to find wellies and waders let the cold in quickly so have stuck with the boots this winter and no problems so far.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-or ... ots-182061

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I got a pair of Meindl boots for my birthday 7 years ago and they are still superb. totally waterproof, very warm and the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. Well worth paying the extra for.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I have a pair of these which are a bargain for under £50 and the come with a free welly bag.
They are unbelievably snug and warm and are ideal for low activity pastimes like static fishing but I wouldn't want to walk long distances in them.
http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/ty_241 ... -5255.html

I also have a pair of Meindl boots and agree with what has been said about them.

I get cold feet in wellies so my other option is neoprene lined wellies with thermal (silver colour) insoles and them a pair of Barbour fleece boot socks with warm hiking socks on my feet = feet warm as toast... :Happy:
http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/ty_268 ... socks.html
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I bought my boots from an Army surplus shop in Worthing, they were unissued officers boots. I put a charcoal liner in them and put wax on them after use, watertight, warm and very tough. Under £20, bargain.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Any top of the range walking boot should be fairly waterproof if looked after. The Army boys swore by Lowa's. But if submersed in water I would say all these style of boot will leak water, if you want total waterproofing then it has to be wellies. Its a trade off really, comfy to walk in against completly dry.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”