Pipes

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Re: Pipes

Post by BendSomeCane »

Champ wrote:My pipesmoke has been useful in keeping midges off during this muggy weather.I havent lit up during the last few months,ive been flyfishing and the pipe is more suited to summer lake fishing where i generally fish one or two swims.I must admit that "firing"up has been most enjoyable to me and thankfully not to the midges.Tobacco was a little dry but was ok.Its interesting to see how difficult it is to get pipe baccy these days with only one or two types being available in the larger supermarkets.Luckily my usual Erinmore is one of them. :Sun: .

I agree Champ... Ive recently tried sweet peach which is nice. It does keep the midges away but it does attract comments from walkers complementing me on making such a pleasant smell .. !! :Hahaha:

BSC
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Blunderer
Bleak

Post by Blunderer »

With the appreciation of aesthetics and tranquility on this website, would it be politically incorrect to suggest a touch of Jamaican tobacco mixed in with your favourite blend might add a certain colour and beauty to a still summer's evening?

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Blunderer wrote:With the appreciation of aesthetics and tranquility on this website, would it be politically incorrect to suggest a touch of Jamaican tobacco mixed in with your favourite blend might add a certain colour and beauty to a still summer's evening?
Blimey... do not let this chap anywhere near the Roach. :Wink:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

As well as having a collection of old tackle I also have quite a few other collecting fields, as always happens to those who frequent boot sales and collectors fairs, one of which is old clay pipes. Here are a few pipes I have picked up over the years. The small ones were probably childrens toys and a couple of the others have makers names on. hope you like them and find them interesting, one even in the shape of a fish....

If I still smoked I would probably have to give them a bash.

Blueavocet

Post by Blueavocet »

Huge nostalgia here and yes all the names come back. I can almost smell the pipe smoke and it damn well did keep the midges away. I used to smoke a pipe ages ago. Then i started work at the Royal Marsden Hospital and saw all the maxo facial cancers and the associated surgery that went with it. People had a lot taken away and even the radiotherapy posed difficulties. Some of the problem back then was to do with chewing tobacco, but not all. Pipes with broken mouth pieces, combining a lot of smoking with alcohol intake, bad oral hygiene combined with mouth smoking the pipe, they were all implicated. I guess you pays your money and takes your chance. We all die of something eventually, but meantime I'm tackling the midges another way. Wrong job in the past you see! Good luck all.

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

My teacher in my final junior school year was a dedicated pipe smoker and his choice of tobacco was Erinmore. If I ever catch a whiff of that lovely stuff I’m taken back to that period of my childhood and memories of that time. Mr. Hanson was a brilliant teacher, enthusiastic, inspiring and encouraging and full of fascinating information particularly relating to nature and science. He knew loads about ornithology and wildlife and tons of other stuff. His main passion was hill-walking and he loved the welsh mountains and the lake district. And he always had a pipe wedged in the corner of his mouth. I don't think he was a fisherman, or at least I can't recall him ever mentioning it, but I could quite easily see him wading and casting on some wild Northern stream or river for trout or salmon. He’d be in his element. Looking back he seemed to me like a bit of a Jack Hargreaves character. When we left junior school to go to ‘big’ school all the kids in our class clubbed together and bought him a new pipe to say thankyou for all his efforts with us.

I’ve never smoked a pipe myself and gave up smoking cigarettes about three years ago. Instead, I took up ‘vaping’ with an e-cig, hoping it would help me quit. It did, but now I’m hooked on that. Still, at least it’s (hopefully) a less deadly option. Vaping seems a bit like pipe smoking to me (you can even buy an e-pipe), and there are hundreds of different flavours of nicotine liquids available from various tobaccos to fruit, mint, and savoury. I mix a blend of butterscotch, apple pie and rich pipe tobacco flavours. A long slow summer sunset by a lake watching a float and listening to the sounds of nature while puffing away on clouds of that is a most pleasant experience.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

That is Tom Mintram at Redmire.

I think it is The Bishop at 38lb 1oz when Tom caught it in July 1970.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Blunderer
Bleak

Post by Blunderer »

Mark wrote:That is Tom Mintram at Redmire.

I think it is The Bishop at 38lb 1oz when Tom caught it in July 1970.
You can tell straight away that it's the Bishop/Old 38. What a great photo for 1970.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

That is actually the 'Old 38' at it's record weight. Tom had his picture taken with it. The industrial nylon sacks weren't in use in 1970.

It is definitely Chris Yates's capture of it. I remember the picture from the original report. Redmire Syndicate leader and all that...

Blunderer
Bleak

Post by Blunderer »

Shaun Harrison wrote:That is actually the 'Old 38' at it's record weight. Tom had his picture taken with it. The industrial nylon sacks weren't in use in 1970.

It is definitely Chris Yates's capture of it. I remember the picture from the original report. Redmire Syndicate leader and all that...
That would explain the quality of the picture, and the fact that he's holding it's spawn-filled belly on the ground like Chris Yates did.

Slight aside, are there any decent quality pictures of the old 38 when it was 38? I know that Yates commented on how the fish looked to be on its way out before the drout of 76.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”