FWK Wallis in famous anglers

Post by St.John »

Fwk wallis should have his own bit!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Re: fwk wallis in famous anglers

Post by Gary Bills »

st.john wrote:Fwk wallis should have his own bit!
I second that, for his captures and incredible skills.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

farliesbirthday wrote:
The man won the 1904 freestyle casting contest with a wallis cast of 235 feet! That's over 70 yards!! It was a 1 and a half drachm weight. Wow.
Last edited by St.John on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

st.john wrote:
farliesbirthday wrote:
The man win the 1904 freestyle casting contest with a wallis cast of 235 feet! That's over 70 yards!! It was a 1 and a half drachm weight. Wow.
I mean, actually, that is incredible! That's very little weight, and a ridiculous distance. How the effing hell did he do it? He used a slater zepher reel and slater rod. Amazing. As well as being the joint holder of the barbel record for years. He's often described as the walker of his day. Amazing. Is there an autobiography?

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

FWK Wallis now has his own Forum.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

st.john wrote:I mean, actually, that is incredible! That's very little weight, and a ridiculous distance. How the effing hell did he do it? He used a slater zepher reel and slater rod. Amazing. As well as being the joint holder of the barbel record for years. He's often described as the walker of his day. Amazing. Is there an autobiography?
I've always been dubious about that claimed cast; I very much doubt you could cast slightly less than two swanshot seventy yards with modern tackle, light line and a fixed spool reel, let alone 1900 stuff.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

gloucesteroldspot wrote:
st.john wrote:I mean, actually, that is incredible! That's very little weight, and a ridiculous distance. How the effing hell did he do it? He used a slater zepher reel and slater rod. Amazing. As well as being the joint holder of the barbel record for years. He's often described as the walker of his day. Amazing. Is there an autobiography?
I've always been dubious about that claimed cast; I very much doubt you could cast slightly less than two swanshot seventy yards with modern tackle, light line and a fixed spool reel, let alone 1900 stuff.
Yeah, but this was a serious contest in the day. It is remarkable, and I hope he did it! He was a highly respected angler, and whether it was a fix or not, I would hope and think that if there was any doubt it would have surfaced. I think it was a greenheart rod specially built for the contest.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Les bamford and i just measured out some of my wallis casts in the field above redmire. I was using a allcocks match aerial, my 12 foot wye barbel rod, a half oz bomb and 12lb gold label pro clear(too heavy really but its for using on the teme). I consistently managed 50 yards, the longest being 56. I know I could get about another ten yards with the right setup (vintage tackle still!) I'm sure that with a rod built for the contest, the zepher reel and light line wallis managed 70 yards. I'm sure of it. I'd love to say I'd prove it, but I really doubt it....!
Last edited by St.John on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well done ST, I can manage about 20 yards then nine birds nests, then 20 yards, then nine birds nests etc etc. :hairout: Like you say ST, its practice practice but obviously not enough on my part. :oops:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

We have a veritable pro in our midst!!!! :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “F. W. K. Wallis”