The Haunted Pool

Enter this forum only if you dare.
Mark
Head Bailiff

The Haunted Pool

Post by Mark »

I love chapter VIII in 'Casting at the Sun' called The Haunted Pool, it still makes me shudder when I read it.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Re: The Haunted Pool

Post by StalkingLuke »

A good tale and the pool is I believe no more than two miles from my house!
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Have you ever fished it Luke, or is it not possible anymore.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

I haven't fished or seen it and last time I tried to have a peek It couldn't be seen from the nearby road. I will investigate further and somehow attempt to get a picture.
I'm relying on some information that somebody gave me a while ago, they were certain that it was the one, however more recently it's been suggested to me that it may be another nearby lake.
There are several lakes around here that Yates fished, I keep meaning to write to him to see if he will name any of them. Any ideas how I can get a letter to him?

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I'd love to see a picture of it Luke. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

stalkingluke wrote:I haven't fished or seen it and last time I tried to have a peek It couldn't be seen from the nearby road. I will investigate further and somehow attempt to get a picture.
I'm relying on some information that somebody gave me a while ago, they were certain that it was the one, however more recently it's been suggested to me that it may be another nearby lake.
PM coming...
Last edited by Snape on Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

In one of his books, Chris Yates actually names my village as having the most promising carp lake he ever saw. He actually discovered who owned it by accident and got permission to fish it, but never found the time.

That's right...CY expects his readers to believe he never found the time to fish !

Ha!

By God, I've walked and walked the hills around here, up hill and down dale.................season after season, year after year.

Of course, I know it isn't actually in my village but I had to be sure, didn't I?

Yates, if you ever come back to SW Surrey you're a dead man! In the interim, I find this forum has just the appropriate 'smiley' .....

:tongue:

Though there is one old, old Elizabethan estate where there was once a famous cattle herd.......

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Quality!!! :thumb:

Would you like me to pass on a message on the 19th??? :laugh:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

Hi Nobby
I will be writing to him over the next few days, do you want me to ask a question on your behalf?
I'm also going to point him in the direction of this forum, but whether he ever uses the internet I've no idea.
I could include a few more questions if there are any more out there? I even wondered if he would be interested in meeting up with a few of us like minded anglers, perhaps at a pub or somewhere of his choosing. I thought I would tempt him with the promise of tea and cake. Its worth a try I guess as for me that would be the ultimate traditional day out!

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Would it ever, a splendid idea!! You tell Chris, if he wants to be in our gang, he's more tham welcome. But I'll have to have a think about him poncing tea and cake from us all the time!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Haunted Swims and Fishing Stories”