Strange Encounter

Enter this forum only if you dare.
N9nty
Roach

Strange Encounter

Post by N9nty »

I fish the River Lugg above Hereford regularly and in about 15 years of fishing have only seen and spoken to one other angler and I don't think he was a club member, what follows happened on another occasion. One evening I was walking upstream and intending to fish a couple more swims before packing up when I saw an angler coming towards me. There was no path as such just a faint cattle track in the long grass and we were both walking along some distance from the river so as not to spook the fish but he was walking to the left of the track, the river was on my right. There was nothing unusual about the angler but as he came toward me I was amazed to see that he was carrying an Avon MkIV with a Mitchell 300, exactly the same tackle as I was using. I can't remember what I said but I greeted him as one would another angler. He completely ignored me and carried on past as though I was not there, I stood and watched him until he disappeared into the gloom. Afterward it occurred to me that there was no sound of him walking through the tall grass.
Every time I fish the river I wonder about him.
The older I get the better I was.

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Strange Encounter

Post by Snape »

Always thought traditionalist anglers were rude with no manners! :Sarcasm: :Chuckle:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Maybe you were meeting yourself on a different time level?.......Did you experience a feeling of dejava? Spooky!
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

N9nty
Roach

Post by N9nty »

No, I don't think it was myself, I would have been a bit friendlier.
The older I get the better I was.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Weren't after mirror carp were you?

Oddly, fishing that same bit of the Lugg one evening I was watching a couple of hot air balloons drift across the sky to my north. Suddenly they were very close and eventually touched each other and became stuck together! They flew like this for ten minutes or more with a helicopter flying nearby apparently watching the proceedings. Eventually they went their own separate ways and the helicopter did likewise.

I scanned the local paper that week - no mention and I have often wondered if it was intentional and the helicopter was filming it but I've certainly never seen such a 'stunt' on film. It's odd what can be seen from a river bank.

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Dave Burr wrote: Oddly, fishing that same bit of the Lugg one evening ...
Rude? Traditional tackle? I think we have found the answer....

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Scott wrote:
Dave Burr wrote: Oddly, fishing that same bit of the Lugg one evening ...
Rude? Traditional tackle? I think we have found the answer....

:Hahaha: - Ouch!! :Hahaha:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I've just heard a very similar story about this chap on a train. The train was nearly empty, anyways his carriage was empty whilst he enjoyed reading his newspaper. Tens of minutes pass as he reads on, before he looks up to see someone dressed exactly like himself who is also reading a newspaper, and then he realises that the chap opposite is his mirror image. He quickly averts his eyes before looking back to find the seat opposite is empty, and no mirror in site. Spooky! Or just another case of narcolepsy!! Where one of the symptoms is having vivid dreams whilst still been awake. Our minds are easily fooled, some more than others apparently!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

There are some good doppelganger stories on Reddit.

When I was about 18, I was walking down the street and greeted by a middle aged woman who asked how I was, asked after my mother and if I was still working in Walsall.
I had no idea who she was. I actually worked in West Bromwich, but was polite and answered her, thinking she must know me from somewhere.

A few weeks later, same thing again. Bearing in mind she asked if I still worked in Walsall again I thought she was perhaps a little confused in her mind.

One day I saw her walking past the house, I called mum to the window but she said she had no idea who she was.

Scroll forward 15 years or so. I had moved away and moved back to my home town.
I was headed for the bus station, then under construction.
A council van with two blokes in slowed as it approached me. One of the guys wound down his window and shouted at me "you bloody ####head!"
I was so surprised I just pointed at myself and asked "me?"
The bloke looked at me and seemed shocked, as though he had realised he had the wrong person. The van sped off.
That made me think of the woman. Perhaps it was the same sort of thing?
Then, searching images of my home town, there was a recent photograph of my local market.
There's a bloke, in profile, that even I thought was me. Different clothes though.

Odd I've never met him.

All the best.

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Of course you can never rule out the prankster.

My mate Alf used to roll down his car window and shout "All right Bill?" at random pedestrians.
It's amazing how many blokes used to wave back, albeit some with confused expressions.
All the best.

Return to “Haunted Swims and Fishing Stories”