Old Monastery Pool

Enter this forum only if you dare.
JackCroxall
Stickleback

Old Monastery Pool

Post by JackCroxall »

Living in an old pub (the Burrell Arms) at the centre of a village in rural Nottinghamshire, I’ve heard plenty of eerie tales. For me, one stands out. It’s the story of someone I only ever hear referred to as ‘Young Charlie’ and a local pond known as ‘Old Monastery Pool’.

During the Second World War, Young Charlie could often be found inside the Burrell Arms trading the trout and eels he’d plucked from local streams for extra ration stamps. Understanding he was a keen fisherman, one of the patrons told Young Charlie about Old Monastery Pool. Now, most of the ponds around where I live are inhabited by mirror carp, and, apparently, they’re all descended from carp a group of monks used to rear in their monastery pond for food hundreds of years ago. The monastery is long gone, replaced by thick woodland, but the pond remains. The patron told Young Charlie all of this and, naturally, he was desperate to fish Old Monastery Pool to find out what, if anything, had survived there.

However, the landowner was strangely reluctant to give him permission. It took Young Charlie almost a year of begging before he finally relented. As soon as he had his permission, Young Charlie made the long trek up to the woodland surrounding Old Monastery Pool. What he found in the dying light disappointed him. The pool was in the exact place the patron had said, but it was half silted up, clogged with pond weed and full of dead branches. Only a few patches of clear water remained and Young Charlie thought he could see through them right to the bottom. It seemed that the water was only a few inches deep, hardly the sort of place that might harbour a monster.

Not being one to accept defeat easily, Young Charlie chucked out a stick float and worm, hoping that there might still be a few minnows around, maybe even an eel or two. Almost as soon as his float stood straight in the water, it was swept under with all the ferocity of a colossal pike strike. Young Charlie’s line snapped instantly but he didn’t care, there was obviously something huge lurking in the pond! Maybe there was deeper water below the weed after all, the perfect hiding place for a giant fish that would have the pub talking for years!

Young Charlie wound in his loose line, sank back against a tree, reached into his basket and began switching to his most robust tackle. But, in his eagerness, he couldn’t resist a glance up at the pond. Standing on the other side of the bank amongst the trees, staring at him intently through the gloom, the murky shape of an old man dressed in tattered robes. Terrified, Young Charlie shot up from where he was sitting and slammed his head straight into a low branch, knocking himself out. When he finally came round it was pitch black and his rod, tackle and basket were all smashed to pieces …

According to local legend, the monastery the pond belonged to was burned down when a cruel abbot refused fish to hungry villagers after a failed harvest. In doing so he bought death and a terrible curse upon himself. Now he’s doomed to patrol Old Monastery Pool day and night, making sure no villagers try to take his precious fish. It’s said Young Charlie found himself on the wrong side of the abbot’s wrathful apparition!

I have visited Old Monastery Pool myself (in the daytime!) and I can confirm that it is a weedy, stagnant mess. But I never saw a ghostly monk. Maybe it’s just baseless local folklore? Saying that, I haven’t yet plucked up the courage to throw in a line!

Bit of a postscript! I’ve pieced this story together from several local sources, gluing their occasionally contradicting accounts together with a splash of dramatic embellishment (hey, I’m an author by trade, what do you expect?!), but I think the gist is there. Tight Lines!

Jack Croxall
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JackCroxall
Stickleback

Re: Old Monastery Pool

Post by JackCroxall »

Thanks Leigh, I do love a good fishy ghost story :P

Sadly, I didn't make the float, but my dad did! He manufactures and sells them but he kindly gave some to me for Christmas. He's on the forum too, handle: Jeremy Croxall.

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Brilliant!!! I love it when a post pops up in the 'Haunted Swims' section. Thanks for this one....

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Scott wrote:Brilliant!!! I love it when a post pops up in the 'Haunted Swims' section. Thanks for this one....
Same here :Hat:

Badger
Grayling

Post by Badger »

That was a good read. Thanks for sharing.
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Nice story Jack, well done, I enjoyed that.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

JackCroxall
Stickleback

Post by JackCroxall »

Scott wrote:I love it when a post pops up in the 'Haunted Swims' section.
I've read the entire section since joining the forum and it's riveting! I just had to add my own into the mix!!

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

:Wink: Nice one Jack, I love a good spooky tale.
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

I like this section of the forum thanks for posting

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

A great story - I wouldn't fish there alone at night!! Thank you
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Return to “Haunted Swims and Fishing Stories”