Not a ghost story as such...

Enter this forum only if you dare.
Paul D

Re: Not a ghost story as such...

Post by Paul D »

Robbi wrote:
GhyllManor wrote:Some years ago while walking my GSD ''Topper'' along the Thames towpath between Molesey and Walton, at about 11pm, he suddenly stopped dead in his tracks! (he was a seriously fearsome dog) turned and ran towards home! I did the same and very nearly overtook him!! Next morning I walked back, certain that there would be some clue, but nothing, no body floating in the river, no sign of anything untoward. A day or so later I was recounting this to a neighbour who informed me that some sheep had been killed in a local meadow close to the river and the culprit was believed to be a big cat!

Ted
That wouldn't be at the back of Barkers Farm and the waterworks would it ?
Not too far from where I heard my "growl" :Scared: :Scared:

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

Robbi wrote:
GhyllManor wrote:Some years ago while walking my GSD ''Topper'' along the Thames towpath between Molesey and Walton, at about 11pm, he suddenly stopped dead in his tracks! (he was a seriously fearsome dog) turned and ran towards home! I did the same and very nearly overtook him!! Next morning I walked back, certain that there would be some clue, but nothing, no body floating in the river, no sign of anything untoward. A day or so later I was recounting this to a neighbour who informed me that some sheep had been killed in a local meadow close to the river and the culprit was believed to be a big cat!

Ted
That wouldn't be at the back of Barkers Farm and the waterworks would it ?
Barkers farm takes me back a bit! I knew Willie Barker very well, a real character if ever there was one. He told me many years ago, during the '70's that he used to go up to Covent Garden every day, in his Rolls Royce, but would park up and jump into his lorry for the final couple of miles!

To answer your question it was in that vicinity. The reservoirs were a favourite fishing spot, but as lads we had to sneak up there at daybreak and ish until the men started work, then we crept off quickly. There were some good specimens in them too!

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

:) I worked on Barkers Farm during the summer of '76 and knew the Barker family quite well :)

I also fished the reservoirs on the Molesey side in the evenings for big eels, and there were some big ones in there !
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

Robbi wrote::) I worked on Barkers Farm during the summer of '76 and knew the Barker family quite well :)

I also fished the reservoirs on the Molesey side in the evenings for big eels, and there were some big ones in there !

I think I'm correct in saying that before the Barkers farmed by the river they were the owners of what is no'w known as ''The Cabbage Patch'' aka Twickenham Rugby Club.

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

The "Beast of Bodmin" Strikes!!!!. Not heard about it for a long time but was well known in Cornwall in the 80s and early 90s I think.

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

I have once seen a large black cat prowling a lake I used to fish when I lived in North Devon. Many of my friends have also seen them. Pretty sure that they are Panthers or Black Leopards. I have also heard Rumours of large cat sightings In West Sussex where I now live. I believe these Puma, Black leopards or panthers are pretty widespread throughout the south and south west of England.
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Note to.myself; better keep some cat treats or a ball of wool in the creel.....just in case!
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I'd recommend you keep the cat treats in several sealed bags!! Otherwise you might attract one of those big cats.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

I know what shoes to wear if I ever visit that swim :Tongue:

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

i do like those boots,they would put the wind up some of the people around here although there was talk of one around here a few years back, it traveled around mottisfont on its way to winchester
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Return to “Haunted Swims and Fishing Stories”