Mistaken Identity

This forum is for discussing dace.
The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Mistaken Identity

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

As discussed in another thread, the dace is often thrown back, the angler thinking it is a small version of some other species. Such a shame that the dace doesn’t get the praise it deserves. I have a small river near me, the Wallington, that holds a fair few dace, although a fish more than 8oz is seldom found.

The rivers that meet behind the Broadlands fishery near Southampton are the Itchen and Blackwater, I am told that these stretches hold some really big dace with fish over 1lb caught every year. As it’s in attached to a club ticket I own, I really must try for them this season.

The carp fishing for me this season has been very up and down with the back end of summer being very fruitful. But, with all this talk of rivers, Chub, Barbel, Dace and Gudgeon, I feel myself being drawn to flowing water once again.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Mistaken Identity

Post by Mark »

I have not caught a dace for years, I think the last time was on the Warwickshire Avon.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

A few years ago I was invited to join a syndicate run by Frank Guttfield on the river Windrush. I fished
it a few times and had some lovely dace but nothing huge. Frank was sure there are record fish in there.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Boston

Post by Boston »

Had a few dace from the Avon at chippenham recently,its been a long time catching a dace,so long in fact I was unsure as to what it was for a second or two.I'd forgot how beautiful a fish it is.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I've never caught a dace, I think there are some in the wye but they are seldom seen around here.

I'd love to catch one.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

One of my absolute favourite fish (and the starring role in a book I am writing for children!) - light tackle or even on the fly: beautiful. There's a great old mill pool I fish beneath a chesnut tree on the River Tas that is a haunt of dace, a great spot to fish, smoke a pipe and settle the nerves!

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I had some really big dace, around the 1lb mark from the middle Thames, back in the 1970s, caught on trotted bread. They seemed to disappear for a number of years. However, on a few trips up to fish with my dad, we have caught a fair few. Not big fish, 6oz or thereabouts. It is nice to see them making a comeback.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I fish for them regularly on the Thames and think they are great fun to catch especially when their bites are very quick. Normally I use trotting tactics but this summer I'm going to try to catch them on the fly.

A few years ago I fished for them at Christchurch from the punt on the Avon. There are masses of them there to 1lb.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I have taken quite a few over the last few years on light maggot feeder, set out for roach. Mostly around the Wargrave area. Lightening bites.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Wargrave as on the Thames?

I often fish around Shiplake.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Dace (Leuciscus leuciscus)”