Bob Richards Record Carp

This forum belongs to Bob Richards.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Bob Richards Record Carp

Post by Mark »

Today gentlemen, on a dull and foggy day 62 years ago Bob Richards caught his record carp from Redmire Pool which weighed 31lb 4oz.

This was to be the first of the three record carp that were to come out of Redmire Pool, a toast is called for tonight I trust.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

St.John
Tench

Re: Bob Richards Record Carp

Post by St.John »

And the most important!! It actually annoys me profusely that so many people forget about bob Richards. He 'discovered' the pond and ol' dicky jumped in and eclipsed him-the poaching scallywag!
So BOB here's to you (raising his coffee and Fag in salute!)
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

There's a goodish debate there.
Gentlemen-I put to you:would walker have got a/redmire, and b/clarrisa if it weren't for ok' Bob?

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Indeed Sin, he appears to have been the true pioneer of the pool. I'm sure I've seen a photo of the set up fish in a display by , I think, Hitchin Angling Club. Does anyone know it's current whereabouts? Do the club still have it, I wonder?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Here's to Bob. :Hat:
I agree that he's not given the credit he deserves. Had Bob not caught the 31 then RW would have been highly unlikely to have ever discovered Redmire (given how far it as from his house and his lack of car) and so the 44 would not have been caught when it was and carp fishing wouldn't be what it is today.
So it's all down to Bob!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

However, to play devils advocate, walker was the 'top man' at the time, so you could suppose that he would have been contacted by someone else.
I think that redmire owes it's legacy to Bob, and I will put forwards some way of recognizing that fact. Any ideas?

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

If Bob had kept quiet and slipped his fish back then it probably would have been many years before the pool was discovered. Walker gave us so many great angling gifts but he was also the forefather of the catch-at-all-costs brigade. Walker driven 'progress' especially in relation to carp fishing was inevitably a double edged sword.

Perhaps there should Bob Richard's dedicated bench at Redmire.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

The bench is in need of replacing. Any more?
A nice one would be three plaques in the lav for each record.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Big wodden statue of Clarissa in the centre onf the pool, carved from the trunk of the fallen oak.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Walker was top man, probably, in terms of the number of doubles he'd caught - over 70 - but he didn't get his first twenty until the summer of 1952 - his Dagenham Common, and some of the Dagenham boys had managed a few twenties by then...
Walker was innovative, yes, and I get the impression that he was the kind of man who, through the strength of his personality, was a born leader. People followed him. Bob does deserve the credit for finding Redmire, and looking at the CCC letters one gets the impression that he resented the fact that his own fairly successful methods - float ledgering with a relatively small hook and lighter lines - were being frowned upon by the Walker set. That method had worked well enough for Bob..
So he was something of an outsider - someone who had been used, to some extent, and I think he knew it. I read somewhere that Bob never "warmed" to Walker in the way that Walker "warmed" to him...
Last edited by Gary Bills on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bob Richards”