Tadpole Bridge, Oxfordshire

This forum belongs to the River Thames.
LuckyLuca
Barbel

Tadpole Bridge, Oxfordshire

Post by LuckyLuca »

I have, today been it contact with a gentleman regarding the fishing rights.
There is a little publicised club called The Tadpole Angling Club who have the rights to the stretch from the bridge to Rushey Weir.
Day tickets are available (honesty box at the bridge I believe).

Think I may have to have a little explore soon!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Re: Tadpole Bridge, Oxfordshire

Post by BeechmereLake »

Fished there quite a few years ago when Florry and Wilf ran the club and how you describe it in your post is how it was several years ago, Nice narrow and twisty part of the Thames, with some of the pegs well known for Barbel and Chub
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Looks nice on google earth, has a track along the length so accessible too!

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Yes you can walk up the river right to the weir pool but when I last visited the venue there were gates that were always locked, you were not permitted to drive up there either, on the odd match day cars were permitted to drive up the top but the best thing about walking it is you get to see the river and what's in it, most of the time the water is clear Spring, Summer and Autumn and you can see the fish amongst the weed.
One of the biggest problems now with the Thames is its infestation of those horrible Signal Crayfish, doesn't matter where you fish from Lechlade to the Channel in Oxford and further on feeder / leger fishing is pretty much out the window, I was actually catching them at Radcot on the stick float last year :Cursing:

"BB"

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

BeechmereLake wrote:Yes you can walk up the river right to the weir pool but when I last visited the venue there were gates that were always locked, you were not permitted to drive up there either, on the odd match day cars were permitted to drive up the top but the best thing about walking it is you get to see the river and what's in it, most of the time the water is clear Spring, Summer and Autumn and you can see the fish amongst the weed.
One of the biggest problems now with the Thames is its infestation of those horrible Signal Crayfish, doesn't matter where you fish from Lechlade to the Channel in Oxford and further on feeder / leger fishing is pretty much out the window, I was actually catching them at Radcot on the stick float last year :Cursing:
The last time I fished at Buscot it was unfishable, if you put a bait on the bottom the crays were on it straight away, if you fished up in the water it was hammered by bleak.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

JohnL wrote:
BeechmereLake wrote:Yes you can walk up the river right to the weir pool but when I last visited the venue there were gates that were always locked, you were not permitted to drive up there either, on the odd match day cars were permitted to drive up the top but the best thing about walking it is you get to see the river and what's in it, most of the time the water is clear Spring, Summer and Autumn and you can see the fish amongst the weed.
The last time I fished at Buscot it was unfishable, if you put a bait on the bottom the crays were on it straight away, if you fished up in the water it was hammered by bleak.
Its still the same I am afraid, a mate of mine fished Kelmscot early this year and had 30 crays in a sit in of which one weighed 1.5lbs, had claws like scissors.
They really have ruined the fishing now for those who like to fish a static bait, as for the bleak? just feed hemp soon gets rid of them

"BB"

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Recieve this from my new found intact at the club

Hi, for your information today's match was won from peg 37 with 15lb 8oz, which was 4 chub and roach fished 14m on the pole and feeder just in front of the bush opposite. We fished pegs 30 to 68. Also today 4 chub have come from peg 13 pleasure fishing.

I have messaged him to ask about crayfish on this stretch and will update when I hear back

PS I also have the combination for the gate if anyone needsit for vehicle access (PM Me)

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

My contact has lead me to believe that crayfish numbers aren't overwhelming but I guess I'll have to wet a line there and see for me self.
The match report says the winner used a feeder to the far bank so perhaps has wasn't to concerned by them?

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

Not fished tadpole and rushy for a long time. It used to be one of my local haunts when I was at Brize. You used to get some massive Perch near the bridge and had my first 4lb chub from the pub beer garden, one winters afternoon.

Rusty
Ruffe

Post by Rusty »

Having stumbled across the access arrangements for Tadpole Angling Club on the ‘net I joined up last week and ‘walked’ the stretch yesterday. I decided not to take the rods as although the weather was beautiful for a leisurely stroll around I wouldn’t have wanted to sit in one spot for too long, two hardy anglers (Steve and Keith) were doing just that but under the shade of trees, very sensible. It’s a lovely venue and that weirpool looks so enticing, I also like the fact that you don’t need a 4x4 to drive the length of the fishery. Looking forward to some cooler weather and more visits.

Steve and Keith, did you catch anything?

Return to “River Thames”