thames info

This forum belongs to the River Thames.
Chevin
Brown Trout

Re: thames info

Post by Chevin »

I joined years ago when it all started, never fished the Thames but I think at the time it was about numbers to get themselves recognised....
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I'm now a member of TAC! It's official!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

DaceAce wrote:Oxford area has some good fishing though you need blinkers to ignore the rowers, not that they affect the fishing but can make life difficult, especially at Donnington. More info from Fat Phil's tackle shop in Abingdon Road, Oxford. Best affiliated club to Oxford DAA (they have Medley to Iffley - see their website) is Littlemoor AS at £10 per year which is the one I get even though it's a long drive for a day. Parking around Oxford near the river not always easy and I do some long walks.

In the Reading area some free fishing but also Reading DAA have plenty of good water.

This year the floods have dominated the Thames and made it largely unfishable this winter - I last got on it at Oxford on 14th Nov when the Maidenhead flow was 69 cumecs and just fishable, currently 173 cumecs. I use the rowing clubs websites like Maidenhead rowing club which has a link to Isis (Oxford) level as well as these give a better idea of flow than the EA sites which are hard to predict as the Thames has, automated weirs that trim the level unless it's very high. On other rivers it's easier to know what's happening like the Dorset Stour - if it's up 3ft it's up 3ft, but on the Thames they sometimes drop the level before a flood. Coloured water on the Thames usually means bream, possibly roach and barbel. If it's clear then more likely chub or perch. Float angler though I am, feeder fishing is often the name of the game on the Thames and it makes a pleasant change.
I've been fishing the free stretch at Osney lock down to the bridge, my next move is the next bit you mention, some good roach and perch have come out to bread and worm
Cheers dace ace,!

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

Really enjoyed stick fishing on the Thames! looking forward to going again

These were standard size of fish I regularly caught over the two weeks I fished,

Best of all the stretch was free! And I never got bothered from a single cray, horaaah

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I do like that roach Leveller, well done.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

I actually saw my submerged pegs on the news over the recent days , sadly the report was of a man who died after falling into the flooded river!
A stark warning to all of us, flooded or not, rivers and water can be very dangerous,!
Take care if your out after floodwater barbel!

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello All,

For those interested, here is a recent picture, taken from a small drone, of the flooded Thames at Wallingford Bridge:

Regards,

Len.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Very similar story in and around Oxford too Len.

We drove around the ring road a yesterday, Thames is 1/4 a mile wide!!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “River Thames”