Lock & weir Permit

This forum belongs to the River Thames.
Mr B

Lock & weir Permit

Post by Mr B »

Well my Thames Lock & weir Permit arrived today.

Where else but in England could you have such a "rear privilege" for £28 a year!!! Plus we all have sixteen miles of free fishing from Staines to Teddington!
I have just joined the Littlemore Angling Society (Affiliated to Oxford & District) as well, so I'm all set for the Thames this season. £10 for me, £10 for my son and £1 for my grandson, what a treat!

I was going to re-join the LAA but thought I'd give it a miss for a season or two... they have some lovely waters though.

I am looking forward to getting to grips with some Thames barbel this season.

Mr B.

Mario
Eel

Re: Lock & weir Permit

Post by Mario »

what sort of fish would you hope to catch from the weir

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

Barbel, Chub, Perch. Big Pike in the autumn and winter. Well thats what I will be fishing for.
There will be quality other fish to in the slower stretches as well as the above.
You have the turbulent water and the quieter eddies and pools. A mixed bag.

Mr B

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

do you fish from a boat mr b

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

The biggest shame is that in my opinion the best weir on the Thames by a mile was taken off the ticket in the late 70's due to 'elf 'n safety. That being Marlow Weir.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

I reckon the weir permit is the best value ticket available. Despite moving to Dorset two years' ago and being in walking distance of the Stour, I still miss the Thames enormously and the weirpools especially. OK, you can't fish all night and often you can't get right up to the weir sills on many of the weirs but what is left is utterly superb. The Thames is so vast that is remains one of the few UK rivers where you just do not know what might come along next. In my time on the weirs I had chub of over seven pounds, big bream (which fight like hell), good perch, double figure barbel, excellent winter roaching.....I could go on.

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

JerryC wrote:The biggest shame is that in my opinion the best weir on the Thames by a mile was taken off the ticket in the late 70's due to 'elf 'n safety. That being Marlow Weir.
I recall reading Venables in Creel (1966-ish) lamenting the removal of Benson from the list of weirs. The reason (and isn't it often sadly the case), being that anglers were taking a short cut to the fishery across private land.

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

Yes, its great value! Bernard Venables, I was weened on that man, What a Gentleman angler.
Benson is on the permit. but it looks like you can only fish from the break water into the weir.
I was talking to a contact that was telling me a couple of new weirs could soon be added.
Jerry c, yes, shame about Marlow, great venue, elf and safty, can be a real pain! I think Penton Hook is got some of the biggest Barbel there, if not a record, but can be a hard to fish. like you though I imagine, I like to fish the "Pretty places" now.
Weyfara, The Dorset Stour is a nice river though, we always fished it during our weeks holiday in Portland. We would drive back for a day on the river. very nice to.

Mr B

Red Creel

Post by Red Creel »

I had a weir permit for one season about five years ago why i never renewed it i will never know but possibly with so much good fishing available to me locally i could not justify the expense.If i remember correctly most of the weir's were well downstream of my usual Thames stomping grounds.My last Thames weir experience's were from a friends(now sadly deceased) boat usually in the weir's at Pangbourne and Mapeldurham.Good fishing for the usual suspects ie Perch, Chub and Dace but nothing out of the ordinary a regards to size.The pike however were a different matter especially at Mapeldurham, never bumped into the really big kipper's myself but Kelvin had a rake of good fish from there over several years.

Andrew Banham

Post by Andrew Banham »

hi all
me and a buddy joined the lock and weir permit and despite buscot being a 230 mile round trip we went on the 18th june this year and caught perch to 2lb 6ozs, brown trout, jack pike and my friend had a baby barbel and all natural as no dye marking etc. we caught loads of dace, small chub, gudgeon etc. by the time we fished penton hook we had dropped the maggots and worms for hair rigged halibut pellets done ok with barbel but with the flows quite strong we could catch barbel and hard fighting bream 500 yards from the weir at sunbury not so now. back on the local river hope for more weir action on the permit later in the season.

Return to “River Thames”