A Living Legend.....Bob Buteux

This forum belongs to Bob Butuex.
The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

A Living Legend.....Bob Buteux

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I have had the good fortune of meeting Bob on a few occasions, a regular at the carp shows Bob can be found selling old books from his stand and is always willing to share a few stories. Be sure to visit him and have a natter next time your there, you’ll be glad you did.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: A Living Legend.....

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

A couple of nice pictures of Bob......

SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Great pictures SK
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

I've never heard his surname pronounced out loud: Boo-toe? But-too? Botox? Buttocks? Somebody must know!

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

davyr wrote:I've never heard his surname pronounced out loud: Boo-toe? But-too? Botox? Buttocks? Somebody must know!
I've always assumed but-ooks but I don't know now. :think:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Caractacus Potts
Roach

Post by Caractacus Potts »

It's 'Bewtoe', I believe. For years I always pronounced it as 'Bewtex' in my head as I read it on a page, but I heard it pronounced as 'Bewtoe' at a slide show somewhere or other.

Caractacus Potts
Roach

Post by Caractacus Potts »

Showing my age there, slideshow, pre-digital ! Sometime in the late 80's/early 90's anyway.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Caractacus Potts wrote:It's 'Bewtoe', I believe. For years I always pronounced it as 'Bewtex' in my head as I read it on a page, but I heard it pronounced as 'Bewtoe' at a slide show somewhere or other.
Thinking about it Bewtex is a much better way of writing how I think of it but I suspect it is of Gaelic and so the 'x' would not be pronounced and hence it will be Bewtoe....
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Snape wrote:Thinking about it Bewtex is a much better way of writing how I think of it but I suspect it is of Gaelic and so the 'x' would not be pronounced and hence it will be Bewtoe....
I don't think it's of Gaelic origin, Snape - according to a quick bit of genealogical research, most of the UK bearers of the Buteux surname are descendants of 17th century French Huguenots escaping religious persecution.

In which case, CP's "Bewtoe" (or Boo Toe) would be about right, if it hasn't been over-Anglicised.

Fred Bonney
Perch

Post by Fred Bonney »

Having spoken to him many times recently in respect of the provision of a chapter for a book, it is Boo toe !

Return to “Bob Buteux”