River Wye free stretches and day tickets

This forum belongs to the River Wye.
Tony1964

River Wye free stretches and day tickets

Post by Tony1964 »

I am looking forward to some river fishing over the next few months and St. John has very kindly offered to give me some casting practice which I will be taking up as soon as I am free. Once I have mastered the art I want to spend time fishing the river for barbel, chub, roach etc..

Are there any good free stretches or even day ticket stretches on the Wye? I have been told that most free stretches are overgrown and inaccessible and that the day ticket areas involve parking in towns for the day at great expense :think:

Gateleaner
Ruffe

Re: River Wye free stretches and day tickets

Post by Gateleaner »

I wouldn't worry about learning to Wallis cast before you venture out. I use a fixed spool most of the time. Get out there.

Re day tickets then The Wye & usk Foundation now manage a large number of Wye fisheries some of which only recently opened up for Coarse Fishing.

see www.wyeuskfoundation.org/fishing/booking_office/

Not cheap for Coarse Fishing typically £15 per day per angler but not normally more than 4 anglers per stretch allowed. You can also read the catch reports from each beat.

However as you have been introduced to St John then your best bet would be to buy him a pint and have a quiet natter. He knows a few stretches where you can buy a ticket for the day and he even looks after little stretch near Ross.

Return to “River Wye”