reports of an amazing wye salmon....

This forum belongs to the River Wye.
St.John
Tench

reports of an amazing wye salmon....

Post by St.John »

... That was caught from the seven sisters stretch On the 11th of this month. The fish was 49 inches long, and estimated at easily over 40lb. Not much detail as yet.
amazing fish.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Snape
Bailiff

Re: reports of an amazing wye salmon....

Post by Snape »

Yes indeed. It was a member of this forum as well!
He hooked the salmon lightly and could see the spinner in its mouth ready to drop out as it made repeated powerful runs.
He eventually subdued it and landed it in a slack. It was measured and witnessed at 49" and just as his companion (another member of this forum) went to get the camera, the fish kicked and bolted and broke free of its capture's grasp.... :Hide:
A 49" salmon is over 40lbs and could be 44lbs.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I'll wait for it to get to Bredwardine then :Wink:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

and another hooked but not landed....

http://www.lowerwyefishing.co.uk/a-rive ... almon.html
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

That's an amazingly good read. Thanks Snape.

My stretch of river is connected to the wye and I see the odd salmon in there. I've come across dead ones after they've spawned, some of which are quite large but thin seeing as they've spawned.

I had the missfortune one day to hook what I think may have been a salmon, whilst I was chub fishing. It shot upstream and as it went passed me and I was just about to slacken off a bit the line pinged and my float was left stuck in my mates forehead. That fish looked immense and I don't think I would have managed to land it from my high bank. I'd been trotting the float downstream of my position and therefore not climbed down the bank for fear of spooking the chub. Instead I layed down and cast from my right hand side into mid river, then stuck the rod out to allow the line to run free.

Just an observation, but the upper wye seems to have more streemer weed in it than usual this year.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

DaveM
Rudd

Post by DaveM »

Kingfisher wrote:I had the missfortune one day to hook what I think may have been a salmon, whilst I was chub fishing. It shot upstream and as it went passed me and I was just about to slacken off a bit the line pinged and my float was left stuck in my mates forehead.
How lucky was your mate, that he didn't lose an eye Kingfisher? :shocked:

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Very Lucky I think, he was putting a worm on behind me back from the bank if memory serves me right. He looked up at the wrong time to see what was causing the comotion, just as the line pinged.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Return to “River Wye”