Wye carp

This forum belongs to the River Wye.
Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: Wye carp

Post by Kingfisher »

You learn something new every day.....I didn't know there were carp in the wye at Hereford. I used to fish over by the leisure centre on the playing field stretch for barbel below the iron bridge. My wife used to work not far from there and would come and sit and have lunch with me. It was a great place to fish handy to the tackle shop and only £4 parking per day.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Carp are right the way through the middle wye, although few people target them specifically. Sizes range from little diddy things to 30+ (although in my opinion these are escapees and not true river carp: ie grown to that size in flowing water).
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I can't begin to imagine what it must be like to hook a 30lb carp in a powerful river like the wye. I've had Barbel to 6lb in there and they wear me out at times.

Are there any quieter places outside hereford available on a day ticket for Barbel or Carp? My Dad has a bladder problem and needs a toilet quite regularly too so that's also a must or a lot of trees and not so many dog walkers.

Izaak Walton

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

There are a few quiter stretches throughout the wye, but access to toilets is limited. Ross town stretch has some public lavs along the way, as well as some very good barbel. Between Ross and symonds yat there are a few fisherys, but wye and usk have taken a lot over and charge an obscene amount. They are all quiet, but have no public toilets.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I passed the river at Ross today. I don't think anyone will be fishing it for anything for some time yet! Rather full I'm afraid.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

There are a few quiter stretches throughout the wye, but access to toilets is limited. Ross town stretch has some public lavs along the way, as well as some very good barbel. Between Ross and symonds yat there are a few fisherys, but wye and usk have taken a lot over and charge an obscene amount. They are all quiet, but have no public toilets.
Thanks for the info St John, The problem I've got with taking my Dad away is whether he can manage to get there without needing the toilet. I'd love for him to catch a barbel, he always says he's happy just watching a float but I've tried explaining that feeder fishing and watching the rod tip can be just as enjoyable but he seems set in his ways.

Izaak Walton

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

When I moved to Hereford in 1977 in search of big perch, the late, great Dick Walker wrote me to say that the swim 250 yards above Mordiford Bridge had perch to 2lbs and more, I tried it several times without success. The carp are ready and waiting on the Belmont stretch but also on relatively unfished waters such as the Carrots and Breinton, a couple of miles up and down from the town.
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Let me know how you get on Gary. I'm interested but having a go for chub lately on the playing field stretch.

Izaak Walton

Return to “River Wye”