Extent of coarse fishing on the Wye

This forum belongs to the River Wye.
Snape
Bailiff

Extent of coarse fishing on the Wye

Post by Snape »

Can anyone tell me how far upstream the barbel and chub extend on the river Wye?
I assume the chub extend further - anyone know?
Thanks.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Extent of coarse fishing on the Wye

Post by Tengisgol »

The barbel are right up to Builth Wells but in very small pockets up there. Once you get down and past Glasbury they become more numerous.

You are right about the chub and they are a better target at Builth although personally I much prefer the trout and grayling in that part of the river (it is a stunning part of the Wye valley).
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

As Phil says, the barbel thin out above Glasbury largely because the river is largely set on bed rock which holds less food. But there are enormous chub shoals up there. From Hereford down, you are likely to find more roach.

Thinking of a trip Nigel?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Tengisgol wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:17 pm The barbel are right up to Builth Wells but in very small pockets up there. Once you get down and past Glasbury they become more numerous.

You are right about the chub and they are a better target at Builth although personally I much prefer the trout and grayling in that part of the river (it is a stunning part of the Wye valley).
Thanks that was what I thought. :Hat:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am As Phil says, the barbel thin out above Glasbury largely because the river is largely set on bed rock which holds less food. But there are enormous chub shoals up there. From Hereford down, you are likely to find more roach.

Thanks Dave. I might plan a trip there but also to look at the area as I might fancy moving that way in a few years when I decide to retire....
I was thinking the area between Hay and Builth looks lovely and if the fishing is good then all the better. :Happy:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Snape wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:22 am
Dave Burr wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am As Phil says, the barbel thin out above Glasbury largely because the river is largely set on bed rock which holds less food. But there are enormous chub shoals up there. From Hereford down, you are likely to find more roach.

Thanks Dave. I might plan a trip there but also to look at the area as I might fancy moving that way in a few years when I decide to retire....
I was thinking the area between Hay and Builth looks lovely and if the fishing is good then all the better. :Happy:
It all looks lovely around here :Happy: When I moved this way, my wife and I spent days touring the area and checking out villages etc. It's time well spent. The river is great but there are few intimate lowland ponds that we enjoy. If I can be any help during your thought process do not hesitate to ask.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:26 pm If I can be any help during your thought process do not hesitate to ask.

Will do. Thanks, Dave. :Hat:

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

There are good shoals of chub as far as Newbridge on Wye, and maybe higher still. The Hereford &DAA used to organise club outings to Newbridge some years ago and the fish, barely fished for, are immaculate.
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Return to “River Wye”