The Lea at Eaton Manor

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Re: The Lea at Eaton Manor

Post by Tench Dreamer »

DaveM wrote:Just noticed this thread, I have fished the Lea all the way along since I was a boy. The
particular stretches around the olympic park always looked polluted and devoid but were actually
teeming with roach, dace, bleak, bream, carp, pike etc, there is quite a lot of water to go for, but even in its heyday, you would rarely see more than the odd angler on these bits. Some bits were tidal some not, it was a whole network of waterways, don't really know where it becomes tidal now?

I grew up in Hackney and on a sunday morning, I would walk up to the corner of my road to pick up the coach, willow basket stephens rod bag, canvas bait bucket (remember them?) and I would see up to 10 coaches from various clubs picking up anglers, but these clubs would all be heading for the Thames, the Fens, the Broads, Ouse, suffolk stour, the mole, in fact everywhere except the very local Lea. Most anglers fished the Lea midweek or summer evenings.

There were also all the docks and they all had fish and anglers on them, though sometimes you felt like you were taking your life in your own hands being there, they were very rough run down places back then.

Further up, all the stretches above Tottenham locks were fished much more. In the summer there would be an evening match every night and two matches at the weekend plus pleasure anglers all along the towpa
I can remember fishing springfield park stretch on the Lea and there was a permanent oil slick on it so bad that your eyes would sting, yet we would catch roach and dace through it!
I would love to take a trip down memory lane and fish some of these places again. maybe I will in the not too distant future.
Fascinating stuff Dave....and nice to meet you.

I live in Hackney and fish the Lea as often as I can. Which is not enough..... The places that you mention Springfield pk etc I know well. Ive fished at Hackney marshes( Tidal and Navigation) and the river is still fished abit.

Living local yourself as a lad, I would love to know where the tackle shops were?And any other local anecdotes . Roman tackle is still there in Roman rd Bethnal green. But all others have Gone!!!

Fishing has of course changed. In my view life( including Angling) moves on and evolves.Those who live local now, and I know a few, do not fish local but like before they travel. Nowadays out to Essex, commercials, carp gear on board, wearing camo gear. And in my view goodluck to them.They are anglers and thats fine.Ive fished a few meself.

But I love the Lea, and now Ive discovered the Roding!

Did you ever fish at Tottenham up to Stonebridge and Pickets Lock?

DaveM
Rudd

Post by DaveM »

Yes John, I've fished just about every stretch on the Lea, Tottenham & stonebridge were probably
my favourites, you had everything there, chub, roach, bream perch, carp, in fact you never
knew what sort of day was in store.

I used to fish the concrete ditch that comes out below tottenham lock for kipper dace. Another river is the very streamy one that runs behind you above the lock at Stonebridge, this was full of quality roach and chub on stick float and was particularly good when carrying a bit of water.

As for tackle shops, where do I start? I used to help part time sometimes in Georges tackle in Mare street, when Keith Arthur used to work there and used to go fishing now and again with him, this was my favourite shop (proper old school cigarette smog, hemp always on the boil and plenty of tackle shop groupies!).
Then there was:

Johnny Mitchells in Kingsland Road (Very tidy shop, but a grumpy atmosphere)

Lees of Roman Road, another olde worlde place, was always one step behind with new items of tackle, but that didn't stop the price being top dollar.

Lees of Columbia Road (then moved to Whitehorse Lane, stepney), very good shop, but Johnny Lee loved a 'long tale,'god rest his soul (unfortunately passed away shortly after moving up to Bridgnorth, not that long ago).

Ashpoles of Islington, another good shop but was tiny, packed to the rafters with stock.

Another one I think was bonners in Ben Johnson road?

Dons of Edmonton, very well stocked shop, very well respected shop, but in later years fell behind the times (in my honest opinion).

Tottenham Angling centre, very good small shop, always good for hard to get hooks, floats, line etc.

and quite a few more that escapes me for the moment.

DaveM
Rudd

Post by DaveM »

Oh and by the way, if you still want to experience one of these old school shops, I can heartily recommend a trip to Sharpes in Kentish Town, its on Malden Road opposite the junction with Haverstock Road, you just don't know what you'll end up buying there. He is also the permit issuer for parliament Hill / highgate ponds which are well worth a fish and the permit is free.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Fascinating tales Dave. They have all gone, the shops that is, but life moves on don,t it.Sometimes its difficult to accept/get your head around it. Well it is for me.

That stretch of the lea at Stonebridge up to the a406 beside Tottenham marshes....Dave I think its pretty fishless these days.

I have a go, but anglers go out to Essex/herts to paying stocked commercials. And Im sure that in years to come the young anglers going along with adults will look back with affection just like we do.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

DaveM wrote: Another one I think was bonners in Ben Johnson road?

DavemM the one in Ben Johnson road was

Jims Tackle
49 Ben Jonson Rd, London, E14SA
020-7791 2961
or
London Bait Supplies
49 Ben Jonson Rd, London, E14SA
020-7702 7034

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Bonners was Roman Road, wasn't it? It was handy when I worked at QMC in the Mile End Road.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Lees in Roman Road was where I bought my very first 6 penn'orth of maggots in 1963 - in fact, I've still got the tiny Milbro baitbox (yellow with a red lid) that I bought at the same time!

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Vole wrote:Bonners was Roman Road, wasn't it? It was handy when I worked at QMC in the Mile End Road.
There was a tackle shop in Bonner St off Roman Road.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

That'll be it. Bonner Aquatics, iirc.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Vole wrote:That'll be it. Bonner Aquatics, iirc.
Thats the one, I have a Split cane spinning rod of theirs.

Return to “River Lea”