Roving with a pin on the Lea

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Roving with a pin on the Lea

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Can anyone recommend a spot on the lower/middle lea for a spot of trotting or rolling a bait for roach and chub?
I fancy a day away from those pesky canal carp!

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Roving with a pin on the Lea

Post by Vole »

Fishers Green or Carthagena estate, I'd have thought.
Just above Hertford is Welwyn Garden City A.A.'s stretch. Chub are there, but the carp will drive you crackers. Ravening hordes of 'em, mostly lying well-fed and complacent by the garden centre's cafe.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Having spent much time on the Net, Dog walking Recce trips, picnics etc, and even a few days fishing. I would make the following points on to your question. A question Ive asked myself many times in the last few years.

Even the so called best reaches...Fishers green/ Dobbs weir/Kings wier and also Broxbourne, wormley and Cheshunt are quite popular but , how can I put it, not teeming with medium sized fish, well hardly any really. But there are some Crackers.....which is how my attempts at a Lea Tench has nearly driven me. :brickwall:

If I was in your Roving with Pin situation...and I might be soon( well with a Closed Face :notlisterning: ) I would walk down stream from Dobbs weir lock to Broxborne( conkers), and back again.

You would certainly catch a gudgeon, you may catch a roach, you may have hear another angler tell you they heard someone had caught a chub!(yesterday) But you would be in a natural beautiful part of the magnificent River Lea

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

John L wrote: If I was in your Roving with Pin situation...and I might be soon( well with a Closed Face :notlisterning: ) I would walk down stream from Dobbs weir lock to Broxborne( conkers), and back again.

You would certainly catch a gudgeon, you may catch a roach, you may have hear another angler tell you they heard someone had caught a chub!(yesterday) But you would be in a natural beautiful part of the magnificent River Lea

Or crayfish, they were catching them at Dobbs weir last week

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

ljm183 wrote:
John L wrote: If I was in your Roving with Pin situation...and I might be soon( well with a Closed Face :notlisterning: ) I would walk down stream from Dobbs weir lock to Broxborne( conkers), and back again.

Or crayfish, they were catching them at Dobbs weir last week
And Dace too Lee

Return to “River Lea”