River Lea at Wormley

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
Redmire
Stickleback

River Lea at Wormley

Post by Redmire »

I fished the Lea at Wormley (just above Kings Weir) for three years from 1972. I have many memories, interesting and not so interesting.
One that often comes to mind is Boxing day 1973. During that day I caught a Chub, a Bream and a Tench! I suppose nothing marvelous about that, but a memory none the less. As there was a strong gale blowing at the time, it makes it a stronger memory. Oh, also whilst holding my brolly down, a passing angler said " we must be b...dy mad"
I now live in Cornwall and am in my late 70's but hope to fish the Lea at Wormley once more,but not in a gale!

Roy Bowker

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: River Lea at Wormley

Post by Ljm183 »

Roy This is the stretch above Kings Weir

Not much in there now, just Crayfish

Lee.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Meself personally as much as it is a hard water I'd rather fish below the weir :fishing2:

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

This is a photo of Kings Weir circa 1975, an old friend sent it to me.
Its very different to the present day Kings Weir with overgrown swims.
I have many fond memories from then, but the fish were much smaller back then.
A lot of the lakes in the area have had their names changed, the Kings Weir gravel pit has a different name now.
Have not fished the Lea Valley for more than 30 years ago, the River looks a bit sad.
I can remember catching 9 tench from the the Lea where the North Met Pit ends, near the old LAA sign which is still there.
The ranged from 2 oz to 13 oz.
Best regards
Mem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Redmire
Stickleback

Post by Redmire »

Thank you all for the news and photos of present day river Lea. Also many thanks for the picture of Kings Weir, circa 1975, sent by Jardine . During my years of fishing at Wormley I did on a couple of occasions fish Kings Weir itself. The setup was a swim feeder, home made with two brass large curtain rings with four 18 gauge wires soldiered to the rings. This was covered with a mesh like you can now get from onion bags. A heavy lead was used (Can't remember weight, but guess at 6ozs). The bait was maggots. Casting spot was into the weir itself. Rod tip was bite indication. The few swims were of course at a premium and very early visits needed. The fish being sought were Barbel, although I never caught one there. I did however have two small Barbel below the Weir at some time during my time on the Lea. One thing I was surprised about was the strength of those small fish. It's a bit sad from what we can see in the pictures of present day Lea posted. This seems to have happened in quite a few waters in the Lea valley, from what Iv'e been told.
Thanks again for your input to my post.
Roy.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Hello Roy . I know that stretch well . Fished it too since 2009 ( so a newbie ) I'm sure you will remember the Pillbox swim . There are fish in there , but very hit and miss. Chub on the far bank so I'm told ... It's hard fishing but still a wind tunnel

Redmire
Stickleback

Post by Redmire »

Hi, good luck with fishing that stretch Tench Dreamer. Yes the far bank was usually good for me and the Chub a descent size. I used to fish by the first telegraph pole going up river from Kings Weir. The far bank was the place for Chub. Main method used was swim feeder filled with maggots , hook bait the same, two or three maggots on a size 14 hook. The rig was cast as near to the far bank as possible, and rod tip used for bite indication with the rod parallel to river. Bites were quite frequent although I guess I contacted with the fish about 1 in 4, if that. Maybe my mind magnifies!
Tight Lines T.D.
Roy

Return to “River Lea”