First Day of the season

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
Stuart Whiting

Re: First Day of the season

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Corneybury wrote:First day and down on the Lea at Fishers Green. Having lashed out £80 on a Ware A/S ticket, which gives me access to the fishery, I thought I'd try my luck with a bit of spam by the bailey bridge. 3 hours and maybe a single knock, but no sign of any fish, and in talking to the bailiff, nothing else coming out either. This used to be the best chub and barbel venue in the area, but I don't know where they've all gone. So a blank, it started to rain and I thought the England/Wales game would be more attractive and I called it a day. However in the words of Arnie, I'll be back.
Hi there fella,

I know this area of the Lea extremely well, I've fished here on and off for over some 28 years and to be honest the venue has never really been what you'd call easy, it does have its moments at times and coughs up the odd few good fish but one 9 out of 10 really has to do there home work to produce the goods from this water,

One needs to remember that this complex is arguably one of the best and heavily fished chub waters in the country along with the next beat upstream being kings weir which I've also fished for the same length of time,

Both these venues are quite difficult most of the time and have known a few people to put many rod hrs in to reap the rewards, this quite often involves in pre baiting swims for days on end but I'm personally not a big believer if this and would sooner use single hook baits and stalk the fish which is also easier said than done,

When fishing this venue 9 out of 10 the fish if their gonna show themselves would switch on at dusk and would definitely be the times to concentrate on and above all else I'd never fish the venue expecting to catch fish on every session as this just simply doesn't happen, on average one might have 2-3 fish on about every 3 trips but again most of the fish that are caught are of a good size,

Some of these big chub could easily be in excess of 20 years old and are certainly not stupid making them some of the hardest to catch fish in the country as no big chub are particularly easy.

I'll most probably at times be at Fishers green meself during this winter eaither doing a bit of trotting or doing me usual reccies
:Thumb:

Above all else enjoy yer time down on the Green and hope yer catch what yer after :Hat:

Corneybury
Dace

Re: First Day of the season

Post by Corneybury »

I used to fish this regularly in the 70s and 80s and chub of the 2-4 lb mark were relatively easy to come by, with the odd barbel thrown in as a sweetener. But now these smaller ones don't seem to be present and you are involved in a fight for your bait with the the signal crayfish all the time. Talking to the LVPA fisheries team, they tell me that the water had been restocked with small chub and barbel fry recently, so it may pick up again. Who knows. In the meantime I am fishing the overflow from the Grand Weir hide, and getting some nice roach and the odd pike

Return to “River Lea”