Close season on the Lea

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
Corneybury
Dace

Close season on the Lea

Post by Corneybury »

So the close season is upon us, and I still want to fish the Lea. I am confused by the rulings, is it true I can fish the canalised bits, but not the river, and as the Lea is mostly canalised river from Hertford down, how does this rule apply? Answers on a postcard, please, or better still, on this forum!

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Close season on the Lea

Post by Tengisgol »

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

MoleFisher
Stickleback

Post by MoleFisher »

The canalised section of the Lee starts at Aquaduct lock,just below Kings weir.
Above Kings weir the natural Lea and the Lee navigation intertwine from Hertford downstream,so not a canal. At Kings weir the natural Lea branches off, leaving the canal open to fishing. I think you may be able to fish all the way to East London but do check first.

Good luck

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Hello Corneybury, As previously stated, you can fish downstream of Aqueduct Lock, so loads of river, all the way into Docklands!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

Thanks guys!

I will keep you appraised of progress in my battle vs signal crayfish and cormorants

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Hang you rods up for the next three months, enjoy your garden, clean and ready your tackle, go bird watching and ........ please give the fish, flora and fauna a rest from us humans during the breeding season......
Last edited by RBTraditional on Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Just as soon as the dog-walkers, canoeists, poachers and boaters agree to do the same...
This is an uber-public water, and frankly, the more anglers that are present, the better. We're the only eyes on the bank with the fishes' welfare at heart.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Vole wrote:Just as soon as the dog-walkers, canoeists, poachers and boaters agree to do the same...
This is an uber-public water, and frankly, the more anglers that are present, the better. We're the only eyes on the bank with the fishes' welfare at heart.

Oh I agree we are the guardians of the aquatic environs, but to be regarded so and thus respected, we really shouldn't do as they do. I look after a stretch of river.....but I don't need to fish it during the closed season to do so.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

If it's a river, you're not allowed to fish it.
This is a canal, and we are... and I feel we probably should. It would be just like the Park Authority to have a user census at Easter, then say that nobody bothered to fish it, so why bother looking after it as a fishery?
Cynical? Moi?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

I agree with Vole , and I shall fish( when I get time) the canalised lea at Cheshunt . Tench are in there somewhere. ... It's a canal . The old river is a river and close season applies

Return to “River Lea”