Swan and Pike pool, Enfield Lock

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
Corneybury
Dace

Swan and Pike pool, Enfield Lock

Post by Corneybury »

Just returned from a session working with a joint working party of Canal and River Trust (CRT) and Lee Valley Park Authority (LVPA), being a volunteer for both. About 30 of us have cleared out the old Swan and Pike pool, just downriver from Enfield Lock, which was full of floating pennywort and rubbish, and returned it to its former glory. I used to fish this as a kid hoping to catch the pike after which it is named, but never any success. In recent years, it has silted up and become something of a dumping ground, but maybe our efforts might reverse its fortunes.

Has anyone ever fished it and with what results?

Last edited by Corneybury on Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Re: Swan and Pike pool, Enfield Lock

Post by Tench Dreamer »

I haven't fished it , but have fished just upstream of the lock at Ramney marsh ... Nice place to fish ....but not a knock in two sessions . River felt barren of fish .... However the whole area felt nice and I would go back ....after all it can't be empty :shocked:

Pike pool and the bend that follows it round ...looks nice . A lot of history . What was it like when you fished it as a lad Corneybury?

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

Lots of gudgeon and small roach, but I always felt there was something bigger in its murky depths

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I've seen some swim raking in my time but...... :Chuckle:

Nice one, well done I hope the efforts are rewarded.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Nice work, is that you in the river up to your chest in a nice pink top? :Chuckle:
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

Alas no, pink, or rosé as we call it in Buntingford ;-), is not my colour - I was the idiot behind the camera. I did have a go in the pool in waders, but gave up because a) they didn't fit, b) they leaked and c) because there were younger and more stupid people there than me, who perhaps did not have my imagination of seeing myself go @rse over t*t in a cold pool. I like my conservation work but maybe not enough to drown for it...

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Corneybury wrote:Lots of gudgeon and small roach, but I always felt there was something bigger in its murky depths
There must be ....after all look at its name ! .... I know there's a new club put up posters along here and I'd like to see what they are all about . The previous consortium folded ... I love the lea and just like fishing it ..one day I'll catch something over a 6 oz roach :fishing2:

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Well done David, work parties are hard, I am now age exempt from them, but used to do them regularly. It is very satisfying to see the results of your efforts!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Barbel Lad
Ruffe

Post by Barbel Lad »

Fished it many of times used to be lots of big big pike in there.

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

Before and after session

This was the result of the combined Lee Valley park/CRT volunteers group work on the Swan and Pike pool - restored to its former glory. And apparently, both swans and pike have been subsequently seen there!

Last edited by Corneybury on Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “River Lea”