First outing of the year

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
Corneybury
Dace

First outing of the year

Post by Corneybury »

Weather was kind enough today to try my luck at the Mill pool. Lots of rubbish coming down, which meant that a lot of stick and leaf fish came in, but I ended up with 10 gudgeon, 1 perch and one nice roach. Very enjoyable, but as the sun went down, it got very cold, so I was glad to get back in the car. Nothing very large (is there anything of size in there?), but nonetheless, it has wetted my appetite again.

Tizer
Chub

Re: First outing of the year

Post by Tizer »

Could be anything in there,Only the other day a old boy that lives up there told me that at this time of year a big old pike gets in there.He might have been over there today himself,not fishing, but sitting round the tea stall.Did you hear about the monster of the Lea,a 24lb pike

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

I think there may be larger perch in there, something chased one of my gudgeon in. I saw the bow wave, but not the fish. There is, however, a shopping trolley in there, in the bottom swim by the car park...

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Anticipation is the stuff of life! It doesn't matter if you catch the fish of your dreams so long as you believe it is possible!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

Woo-hoo- I've made it to Ruffe! Haven't caught one in some time, but they used to be in great numbers on the Thames and the Ouse, especially on worm. They always seemed to swallow the hook, which necessitated an operation to retrieve it, and then look at you with large violet eyes. A pretty little fish, but a pest, when a fat perch was the target

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

A ruffe and a gudgeon,two fish I haven't caught for must be 40 odd years,happy days.Tempted to have a go myself,but it is not the sort of place I like to fish these days, to many humans for me,but good luck to you, as I said you never know whats going to come in there from the Lea.I see you live in buntingford,my daughter lives there,loverly village.Must be about 14 miles to the mill,if you drove 14 miles the other way down the A 10,just past Royston there is a farm outlet, called Browns (I think).They have a little day ticket lake there that you might be interested in. :Thumb:

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

Do you mean south of Royston on the A10 Five house farm lakes at Buckland, or north - Bury Lane farm shop near Melbourn? As I don't know Browns, and would like to investigate

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Corneybury wrote:Weather was kind enough today to try my luck at the Mill pool. Lots of rubbish coming down, which meant that a lot of stick and leaf fish came in, but I ended up with 10 gudgeon, 1 perch and one nice roach. Very enjoyable, but as the sun went down, it got very cold, so I was glad to get back in the car. Nothing very large (is there anything of size in there?), but nonetheless, it has wetted my appetite again.
Are you referring to the mill pool at Broxbourne? If so I had me best ever Gonk there a couple of years back ....about four inches !

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

That's the one. Plenty of gudgeon still in there!

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

It's a lovely place to fish ......mainly small fish , but where you have the small ones ........ :secret:

Return to “River Lea”