Pike Pike where are thou? .....Mr Pike

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Pike Pike where are thou? .....Mr Pike

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Three hours , proper organised lure fishing between limehouse cut and Fish island on the river lea in East london . Back round via Hertford Union canal ( could get in much between a housing estate of narrow boats)

Superb features ...moored Boats, bridges , shadows , overhanging bushes on the un disturbed far bank. Inlets outlets locks side streams the lot...

Not a tap, nor a wobble, not a tug nor a snap .

El blanco .... Yet again : :hairpull:

The river looks cleaner , gin clear and .... That was it how could this river ( navigation canal ) be crystal clear ? We've had rain and it's winter ?

Either way , in all honesty it's frustrating . You click on the Internet and there are more clips of superb pike being caught than I care to mention ... And yet I hear of none from the glorious river lea .

With limited time for fishing and having passed the stage of the pursuit of fish mathematically determines blanks ... But cheesed off I am.

Time for a re think

Gord
Crucian Carp

Re: Pike Pike where are thou? .....Mr Pike

Post by Gord »

have you tried using a small dead bait twitched across the bottom a few inches at a time, it makes them more inquisitive and gives them a bit more time to make up their minds any way just keep plugging away
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Its turned blimmin' cold TD and until they readjust they often won't chase a lure (if at all this time of year). I think static sardines or sprats, off the bottom, in your favourite swims moving location every hour will tell you more about what's going on than lures. They will soon reveal themselves if they are there...keep at it and good luck.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Aquaerial wrote:Its turned blimmin' cold TD and until they readjust they often won't chase a lure (if at all this time of year). I think static sardines or sprats, off the bottom, in your favourite swims moving location every hour will tell you more about what's going on than lures. They will soon reveal themselves if they are there...keep at it and good luck.
If they are there? ".................good question . I'm just not confident they are . I returned to angling and started fishing the lea in 2009 ...I've never heard of anyone catching one in that time ( except Voles friend at Broxbourne) ... I think there may be stretches of the river that are essentially barren .

I hope I'm wrong

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Tench Dreamer wrote:
Aquaerial wrote:Its turned blimmin' cold TD and until they readjust they often won't chase a lure (if at all this time of year). I think static sardines or sprats, off the bottom, in your favourite swims moving location every hour will tell you more about what's going on than lures. They will soon reveal themselves if they are there...keep at it and good luck.
If they are there? ".................good question . I'm just not confident they are . I returned to angling and started fishing the lea in 2009 ...I've never heard of anyone catching one in that time ( except Voles friend at Broxbourne) ... I think there may be stretches of the river that are essentially barren .

I hope I'm wrong
I have :Wink:

As mentioned above I too generally lure fish if the temperature has risen a few degrees from previous days. I caught three pike on lures last wednesday when it warmed up but alas not on the Lea, but they are definitely in there. TD, I'm quite happy to meet in the New Year for a session, I hooked and lost one last month above Dobbs Weir, with an Ondex but in warmer temperatures from previous days.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I'd look at Mr Brook's latest post and ask him for advice. He seems to be catching lots!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Tench Dreamer wrote:

I hope I'm wrong
Its not just the Lea that is barren mate,its the whole of the Lea valley.I know that there still are some big pike but believe me they are very thin on the ground,My last winter in the valley before moving,(3 winters ago) I had over 50 trips for 12 pike and 3 of them were repeat captures,I did have a biggie as a going away present thou,25lb +Happy days.Good luck with your Lea valley piking mate,the valley is a beaultiful place

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Santiago wrote:I'd look at Mr Brook's latest post and ask him for advice. He seems to be catching lots!
No secret really, I'm just fishing a spot where there is a good head of pike and other predators. First tip with all angling, location!
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Great tip Bob.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Tadpole and Tizer have also added a dynamic to this.. fish when the glass is dropping away and with so few Pike you may well find something special.
It follows that they also feed before it starts climbing again after a low i.e. prior to frosts.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Return to “River Lea”