Dobbs Weir

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
Crafty Carassius

Re: Dobbs Weir

Post by Crafty Carassius »

I fished Dobbs Weir as a kid in the late 60's, cycling from my then home in Wood Green via Tottenham Hale or Stonebridge Lock. Caught mainly gudgeon and roach. Lovely memories.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Crafty Carassius wrote:I fished Dobbs Weir as a kid in the late 60's, cycling from my then home in Wood Green via Tottenham Hale or Stonebridge Lock. Caught mainly gudgeon and roach. Lovely memories.
Dobb,s weir, it,s all crayfish now

KenSowerbutts
Grayling

Post by KenSowerbutts »

I have been there many times ,even worked on the bridge around 15 years ago , great days taking your fishing gear to work with you . Alas have not been there for some time but the memories are good ,mabye go back for another look one day .
Knowledge comes but Wisdom lingers

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

A ragging torrent at Dobbs today

One tree down

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

MrT wrote:I grew up within a mile of this place. SPent many a happy day (and night) catching roach chub and barbel from here and many more nights getting drunk in the Fish and Eels pub thats adjacent to it!
sadly its recently been purchased by a local (predominantly carp) fishery. Although it is still day ticket I believe.
as a local resident in hertford Im sure im not the only local who thinks fishing in the River Lea has sadly gone downhill.

I tend to stick to my pretty unknown local pool in turnford in the lea valley now. Thinking about it. I'll go there tomorrow :)

jim
hertford
I went in the Fish and Eels one evening in the eighties (?) to meet some fishing mates, first to arrive, I ordered a beer and looked over to see Paul Gascoigne and Timmy Ten Bellies playing pool. It was about the time that PG had hurt his leg but was to be transferred to Lazio and was all over the papers back and front.

I made the point to the barman about, 'blimey, didn't expect to see him in here!' but had no response.

Mate turns up, I bought another pint, 'you know I REALLY didn't expect to see him in here, what with the paparazzi following him and that'. Nothing.

More mates turn up, still my round, bought some more beers and said again to the barman, 'you know with all that fuss in the papers, I just didn't expect to walk in here and see HIM just having a pint and playing pool like a normal fella?'

Barman looks at me like I'm crazy and says in the broadest Aussie accent, "I'm really sorry mate, but I don't know what you've been going on about!"

Didn't have a clue he had, at the time, the world's most famous/photographed footballer in his pub playing pool!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Crafty Carassius

Post by Crafty Carassius »

Tengisgol wrote: I went in the Fish and Eels one evening in the eighties (?) to meet some fishing mates, first to arrive, I ordered a beer and looked over to see Paul Gascoigne and Timmy Ten Bellies playing pool. It was about the time that PG had hurt his leg but was to be transferred to Lazio and was all over the papers back and front.

I made the point to the barman about, 'blimey, didn't expect to see him in here!' but had no response.

Mate turns up, I bought another pint, 'you know I REALLY didn't expect to see him in here, what with the paparazzi following him and that'. Nothing.

More mates turn up, still my round, bought some more beers and said again to the barman, 'you know with all that fuss in the papers, I just didn't expect to walk in here and see HIM just having a pint and playing pool like a normal fella?'

Barman looks at me like I'm crazy and says in the broadest Aussie accent, "I'm really sorry mate, but I don't know what you've been going on about!"

Didn't have a clue he had, at the time, the world's most famous/photographed footballer in his pub playing pool!
Classic!

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

I used to fish there as a kid, had some great times and lovely catches.
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Ljm183 wrote:
Crafty Carassius wrote:I fished Dobbs Weir as a kid in the late 60's, cycling from my then home in Wood Green via Tottenham Hale or Stonebridge Lock. Caught mainly gudgeon and roach. Lovely memories.
Happy days,we used to cycle up the lea from Tottenham most weekends,your bike was part of your body in them days,then we used to get the train up that way and risk your life trying to get away without paying,running across the tracks with all your gear.I moved to Cheshunt 30 years ago,I was living in paradise for 28 years and saw the lea valley go downhill big time,I have moved again now and have not regreted it for a split second,just had my first winter down here and have caught more pike than I did in the valley in the last 3 years and now ive got my first summer to look forward to,I have stood on bridges on the river Ouse and seen fish every time,when I stood on a few bridges in the valley in the last few years if I saw any move at all it would be a crayfish

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Tizer wrote:
Ljm183 wrote:
Happy days,we used to cycle up the lea from Tottenham most weekends,your bike was part of your body in them days,then we used to get the train up that way and risk your life trying to get away without paying,running across the tracks with all your gear.I moved to Cheshunt 30 years ago,I was living in paradise for 28 years and saw the lea valley go downhill big time,I have moved again now and have not regreted it for a split second,just had my first winter down here and have caught more pike than I did in the valley in the last 3 years and now ive got my first summer to look forward to,I have stood on bridges on the river Ouse and seen fish every time,when I stood on a few bridges in the valley in the last few years if I saw any move at all it would be a crayfish
Tizer. As someone who really tried on what still looks like a lovely river ( The Lea) from 2009 to date.. I'd be very interested in what your thoughts etc are on its demise ...please let us know. In all that time I've struggled!

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

In the early years it was just fishing pressure that made the fishing harder,then people would fish outside the valley and in a few years it would be back to normal and the first people back would reap the rewards.happy days,then the cycle would start again,thats how it was forever.Then the cormarants came big time(for as long as I can remember there were cormarants in the valley,but not in the numbers there are now)They ate everything under 2lb,it was just starting to bounch back and the worst predator of all turned up.The eastern European.I have seen them on every bit of water that I have fished in the valley.Ihave found set lines everywhere,something that I never use to see 15+years ago.I was going to write a lot more but I would get banned.Anyway then the crayfish came ,I think they started up by fields weir and now they are every where.Nazing meads and the relief channel were particularly bad.There are some monster chub and barbel in the Kings weir river,but they are just a few fish getting caught time and time again.There are monster perch in the lea up by Stansted Abbotts, This is prob the longest letter I have ever written,I loved the valley and that is why it hurts so much. As I said I have moved now and I have got a new play ground,I have got so much exploring to do,happy days.

Return to “River Lea”