Abbey gardens cornmill stream

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
Fisherman1947
Dace

Abbey gardens cornmill stream

Post by Fisherman1947 »

As anyone fished this I have been told it is best in the winter.
Old fishermen never die they only smell that way.

Corneybury
Dace

Re: Abbey gardens cornmill stream

Post by Corneybury »

I used to fish this as a kid, it used to produce nice roach and perch (particularly on worm)
Last edited by Corneybury on Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

If that's the one that runs thru the gunpowder mills,i did walk it a few times a year back,it did get fished by the wrong sort because it was so remote,spining etc,very weedy now,if it is local give it ago,looks very chubby to me,if you do live round there have you looked at The Royal Small Arms bit of the Lea backwater.

Fisherman1947
Dace

Post by Fisherman1947 »

I don't live there it is in the Abbey itself I went there last week to walk around it I have a permit to fish it and waltons walk there Don't seem to be many swim's there or Walton's walk . I also have a permit for the north met pit not caught anything there so far.
Old fishermen never die they only smell that way.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Fisherman1947 wrote:I don't live there it is in the Abbey itself I went there last week to walk around it I have a permit to fish it and waltons walk there Don't seem to be many swim's there or Walton's walk . I also have a permit for the north met pit not caught anything there so far.
The north met was my playground,happy days,people used to travel from miles to fish the met.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I know of the cornmill stream, but I have not fished it. The north met pit does hold some very big specimens, with tench, carp, bream and pike, being caught. I have not fished it for many years, but local knowledge is best, so walk around it and speak to anyone fishing, you will probably need to put in some hours, but it should produce!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

As the man says on the met you will have to put in the hours,there are some monsters in there,but usually its the long stay anglers that catch them.that said it is a beaultiful place,if you go up the north end on one of the fingers you will prob not see a human being all day long,how good is that.

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

Have just bought a license for Waltons Walk and Cornmill stream, since I found that my Fishers Green permit (courtesy of Ware AS) goes as far as the gate at Hooks Marsh car park. I am told there are barbel, chub and some carp in the Waltons walk stretch, especially by the weir. Has anyone got any experience they could share?

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

OK, got my first payback on my £50 ticket for Waltons Walk yesterday, fishing immediately below the weir (long walk with tackle from car park). No luck with legered lump of spam, despite bailiff telling me it was a good spot for barbel, but float fishing bought me two gudgeon, one ruffe, one bleak, two chub and two roach in about an hour. Who says the Lea is dead? (And not a crayfish to be seen), although I did see three kingfishers

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Well done on the catch Corneybury. I'm a member of Hollow AC, who are affiliated to Waltham Abbey Angling Consortium, so I fish the Old Lee in the Cornmill/Dragonfly Meadows. I can fish the Cornmill Stream from where it splits from the Old Lee down to Harold Bridge but, aside from the stretch between the Abbey View dual carriageway and Harold Bridge, it's shallow, weed chocked and unfishable most of the year in my experience. Though I have had jacks and some nice perch spinning in the winter.

The reason for my post is that I'm having no luck at all locating what is called the Waltons Walk stretch. I might be interested in handing over my cash for a chance to wet a line somewhere new and wondered if you could give me a better idea where the stretch is?

Thanks in advance :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “River Lea”