Great Ouse Radwell, Sharnbrook and others

This forum belongs to the River Ouse.
Haydn Clarke

Great Ouse Radwell, Sharnbrook and others

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Just some pictures of my stomping ground. The Great Ouse at Radwell and Sharnbrook.

Last edited by Haydn Clarke on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grayling-Trotter

Re: Great Ouse Radwell, Sharnbrook

Post by Grayling-Trotter »

Cracking looking river :Thumb:

Kind Regards
G-T

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

The Ouse upper reaches are really picturesque looking from around where you have taken these photos - superb :Hat: - going upstream to Newport Pagnell and through the Admas Mill stretch, and then again further upstream from Passenham to near Buckigham.
But is the quality of fishing around your location as good as its appearance suggests it might be, and if not what do you think are the reasons?
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

That looks like heaven Haydn. :Thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Wonderful, Haydn - I'm envious!

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Julian, not sure if the pictures suggest anything about the quality of fishing per se. I suppose it depends if by fishing you mean mean actually catching then the quality is definitely not what it once was. Yet if you want the chance of a very large barbel, chub or perch then it is still definitely worth serious consideration. Sadly, and despite several years fishing here, I've yet to catch one if the proper big barbel. My best is a relatively modest 12lb 10oz and my best chub of the stretch at 6lb 1oz. Blanks, for me at least, are more often than not.

The Gt Ouse is perhaps not in everyone's list of prettiest places to fish but I think it's still rather lovely, as the pictures show.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Great photos :Thumb:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Looks a stunning place to fish. :Thumb:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Haydn Clarke wrote: ............................. Sadly, and despite several years fishing here, I've yet to catch one if the proper big barbel. My best is a relatively modest 12lb 10oz and my best chub of the stretch at 6lb 1oz..................
'Relatively modest' - 12lb barbel and 6lb chub - you must be joking , for many anglers they would be lifetime achievement targets for those species.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Julian wrote:
Haydn Clarke wrote: ............................. Sadly, and despite several years fishing here, I've yet to catch one if the proper big barbel. My best is a relatively modest 12lb 10oz and my best chub of the stretch at 6lb 1oz..................
'Relatively modest' - 12lb barbel and 6lb chub - you must be joking , for many anglers they would be lifetime achievement targets for those species.
Indeed. And I was rather made up myself on both occasions. But my use of the word "relatively" tells you pretty much everything you need to know about the Ouse "above Bedford" as it seems to be known in fishing circles. A twelve pound barbel is still relatively modest, considering 18lbers are a distinct possibility. And I've, personally, seen much bigger chub than that sixer I caught. As I said though, it's very, very hard. One particularly barren period I remember a few years ago resulted in about ten sessions without so much as a tap. And I recall being told about one fella who fished for well over 20 sessions, completely fish-less and then eventually taking his first fish off the stretch at 16lb.

Return to “River Ouse”