Single hooks for pike and rigs

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Single hooks for pike and rigs

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

After the Pike wire thread I have been quite keen to try out single hook patterns and rigs.
It's quite clear that some of you are fans of such set ups but I would quite like to know more about hook sizes, patterns rigs and how dead baits are 'set' up on such rigs. Also the use of knots or crimps on single hooks?

I've put my back out so at present I'm getting this seasons pike gear ready for a November start.

Your thoughts please gents?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Single hooks for pike and rigs

Post by Dave Burr »

Circle Hooks - that is the secret as far as I am concerned. One just hooked through a bait's tail or head depending on how its fished, will usually do the rick but you can fish it Pennel Rig style on a bigger bait. Circle hooks are brilliant as they catch in the scissors every time and minimise deep hooking and damage to pike, zander or perch.

Owner Mutu circle hooks in sizes 4, 6, or 8 will cover all of your needs. They are so good I have fished for perch using a braided hook length but have taken plenty of pike, none or which have bitten me off as they are all hooked in the corner of the mouth. I would never recommend braid over wire for pike but I make the comment purely to help prove the point.

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Thank you gents, Lechmere, I can't seem to find Owner Mutu circle hooks in the smaller size 6 or 8?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Tadpole
I managed to pick some up on Ebay the other day, its worth keeping an eye out. If you want to try farther afield then try here http://www.anglerscenter.com/gamefishin ... cle-hooks/

or http://www.thefind.com/search?query=own ... rcle+hooks

The Mutu light is good as is the heavier version, as I said sizes 8, 6 or 4. They are big hooks for the size rating but some people are using sea hooks for pike and single hooks on lures are enormous.

Avoid the Sakuma circle hooks as I have found them brittle.

Happy hunting.

Mark Salt

Post by Mark Salt »

I use circle hooks exclusively for pike with excellent hook up to run ratio, with every one hooked in the scissors. I use a short hair attached to wrist of tail irrespective of size and allow a suitable length of time to elapse before tightening up. Works for 6" roach to big whole herring. One critical point-any offset in the hook needs to be bent out so that hook profile is completely in line and in the same plane, as offset causes point of hook to kick out and catch in tissue before it reaches the scissors. I am currently using VMC 1/0s for pike.

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

From what is being said I would conclude that the hooks are being tied not crimped to keepp the hook in position, if so what knots are you using? I generally use Drennan Pike Wire in coated green.

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

BarryK wrote:
Tadpole wrote:From what is being said I would conclude that the hooks are being tied not crimped to keepp the hook in position, if so what knots are you using? I generally use Drennan Pike Wire in coated green.
When using wire I usually put a loose slim crimp up the wire, then double the end of the wire, pass the doubled end through the eye of the hook and then pass the loop over the bend of the hook, making sort of hitch........ Think loop to loop, as in joining hook links to mainline but where one of the loops is the hook eye. (I really hope that makes sense........ :think: )

After making the 'hitch' I pull the crimp back down to hold both main wire and tag end.

If you are very careful you can also use this method on titanium wire, where, due to the stiffness of the wire the 'hitch' is much less tight - it still works a treat tho'.

In both the above cases, the crimp does little more than hold the ends tidy, so doesn't need crimping with too much force.

I have seen titanium wire traces tied to hooks with a sort of granny knot, those who use it claim it works perfectly well but I wouldn't rely on it myself.
Thanks Barry I appreciate your description although I'm slightly confused! Any way I'm going to order some singles this morning in preparation for a pike trip.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Personally I don't think the knot or method of attachment is too critical. Circle hooks are used by longliners on short, heavy mono links and they still work very well. If you do want to allow some movement and crimp them on it will in no way be detrimental.

In one of the short chapters in The Carp Godfather, Walker mentions the hooking potential of circle hooks so they are definitely traditional :thumb:

Mark Salt

Post by Mark Salt »

Tadpole wrote:From what is being said I would conclude that the hooks are being tied not crimped to keepp the hook in position, if so what knots are you using? I generally use Drennan Pike Wire in coated green.
I crimp Neville's 30lb titanium, pulling the wire as tight as possible whilst crimping. Works fine. Knots are too bulky.

Noodle

Post by Noodle »

While I can't hook a pike on a circle, including the mutu lights I couldnt recomend calibre wonder wire enough for use with them I used it with circles for perch when using larger perch baits that pike would probaly take.

Got to agree the sakuma are fragile and break rather than bend

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”