hair rigs (gasp!)

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: hair rigs (gasp!)

Post by Snape »

Sorry, I decided to delete this post :roll:
Last edited by Snape on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

He's rumbled!! Ha ha ha!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

st.john wrote:He's rumbled!! Ha ha ha!
Bet he uses baitrunners as well! And chod rigs, as well as 20 METERS of leadcore! And is endorsed by korda! Sorry. Couldn't resist. Really sorry :( . Snape, where's your cane? :o
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

DontKnowMuch
Roach

Post by DontKnowMuch »

JAA wrote:
Also inthe CY camp on this, but it's worth differentiating between "hair" and "anti eject".
True, essentially tying the bait to the hook without a gap is taking the bait off the hook but there is no actual hair. Interestingly enough when the hair first became popular there were some quite long hairs employed in rigs, some 6 or 8 inches long, but in more recent years the 'gap' between hook and bait seems to have shrunk back to , typically, 1/2" to 1" for bottom baits and 1/8" to 1/2" for pop ups.

We'll be side hooking them again soon :hahaha:

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Dontknowmuch wrote:We'll be side hooking them again soon :hahaha:
Already there - on one water I fish the carp have learnt to test a bait by backing off cautiously with the bait in the lips. Some people have had success with extending rigs and stretchy hooklink materials, but I figured putting the hook in the bait and using a short hooklink with semi-fixed lead (plugged coffin) was easier. It's worked a couple of times - hit 'em with the lead before they sense anything's wrong!

Sorry if that's too unsporting for some; I go to catch fish. I don't use rods made of rhubarb or glue the innards of my reels up so they won't work either.

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Where I fish, it is inundated with Signal Crayfish, so sometimes you cant keep a bait on the bottom for more than a couple of seconds, so when fishing with maggots or caster, I use real ones for lose bait, and plastic, hair rigged ones on the hook. I'm therefore of the opinion, that you have to use a method that suites the water, but wouldn't dream of using anything but cane and a center pin, ok sometimes in rests if ledgering, I also use a modern chair, as at the age of 70, I would do my back in if I used some of the traditional seats. So back to the question, "To hair, or not to Hair (that is the question)", :Chuckle: in my opinion it is up to the individual.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Tis a thorny subject indeed... for myself I'll use a hair rig.... be honest at the end of the day we go fishing to catch a fish and if a hair rig is the effective method, then I would surmise that a lot of us would be using it....

there's nothing wrong with it.... it just seems a modern method because the world and his wife of the carping/barbelling fraternity are using them... lets face it it's already been proven to be a traditional method....

The knotless rig being the simplest and easiest to tie, with variations on an anti eject theme are the norm these days.... for more than a few years I got caught up on the whole "Rig Mechanics" kick that a lot of carpers gleefully jumped into... nowadays simple is best...

a simple knotless rig suffices these days and if they are being fussy then I lengthen or shorten the hair accordingly... does it need to be any more difficult???
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”