Pebbles for ledger weights

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Gurn
Chub

Re: Pebbles for ledger weights

Post by Gurn »

The use of stones is a great idea, just think how much lead is dumped into our waterways each year..I believe the holes in 'Stonze' are produce with a very high pressure water jet, hence the difficulty with drills.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Snape wrote:Ginger wine? Lovely stuff!
1:2 scotch to stones, 2 brown sugar cubes 1 of which is soaked in 3 to 4 dashes if bitters, orange zest and a quick squeeze of the orange on top. 1 whisky tumbler full of roughly smashed ice cubes. Shake it really really well. Drink......... It's called a dirty ol' mac. Half a wiskey mac and half an old fashioned.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Vole wrote:Wrap a couple of turns of unscented dental or boilie floss round; slip-knot; superglue, loop et voila!
Also, be it noted that five twopenny bits (with lots of surface area to glue them together) weigh about 36g; that's 10p - how much is a 36g lead? Which would you sooner "dump" when Cypry hits the weed?

Keep it cheap,
Vole.

I'm really likeing that, Vole. Love ways that circumvent the need to buy overpriced tackle, however small. What would be better is a system, say, a swimfeeder type arrangement that allows you to add or deduct the coinage to suit the flow.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Haydn Clarke wrote:
Vole wrote:Wrap a couple of turns of unscented dental or boilie floss round; slip-knot; superglue, loop et voila!
Also, be it noted that five twopenny bits (with lots of surface area to glue them together) weigh about 36g; that's 10p - how much is a 36g lead? Which would you sooner "dump" when Cypry hits the weed?

Keep it cheap,
Vole.

I'm really likeing that, Vole. Love ways that circumvent the need to buy overpriced tackle, however small. What would be better is a system, say, a swimfeeder type arrangement that allows you to add or deduct the coinage to suit the flow.
Pennies in a block end feeder?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Drawstring bag from Chocolate pennies? Armamesh? Tights?
Might be worth coating them with copydex or similar so they don't chime against each other, and to contain the coppery taste...
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

Snape wrote:I mostly use them for barbel fishing although where I fish there isn't a lot of pressure so I doubt the fish recognise weights.
I found the flinty pebbles to be impossible drill with my home Black and Decker.
I hold them in a vice and put gaffa tape over them before drilling (stops the bit slipping when you start off). Always start with a very fine bit then progress to the size you need for the swivel. I have split several stones before getting it right. Slate stones are in fine layers and are buggers for splitting! :hairout:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I carry a few feet of thick solder that I can whip around a feeder if the flow is too much for its weight.....not that I'll be needing it this Winter.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Nobby wrote:I carry a few feet of thick solder that I can whip around a feeder if the flow is too much for its weight.....not that I'll be needing it this Winter.
Now that is a very good idea Nobby. :thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Rich

Post by Rich »

Hi
When you arrive on the river bank have a scout round for some of the local pebbles. Using that 90 second epoxy that comes in a syringe form glue a piece of flat elastic band to said pebble. The flat surface of the elastic band gives a great surface for the glue to bond. then using one of those latch style baiting needles pierce a hole in the elastic band and thread it onto your main line.
Guaranteed not to damage your line and they just fall off if you get weeded! As a cautionary note be careful when casting with force that your pebble does not make a bid for freedom!

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Rich wrote:Hi
When you arrive on the river bank have a scout round for some of the local pebbles. Using that 90 second epoxy that comes in a syringe form glue a piece of flat elastic band to said pebble. The flat surface of the elastic band gives a great surface for the glue to bond. then using one of those latch style baiting needles pierce a hole in the elastic band and thread it onto your main line.
Guaranteed not to damage your line and they just fall off if you get weeded! As a cautionary note be careful when casting with force that your pebble does not make a bid for freedom!
What an ingenious idea. I'll be giving this one a go. :thumb:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”