Lure fishing hooks

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Duckett
Tench

Lure fishing hooks

Post by Duckett »

I spent part of the Christmas break replacing hooks on plugs and spinners and I was just wondering which hooks my fellow lure anglers use?

For trebles, single "trebles" (useful in weedy areas), singles for drop shotting and assists I use Owner as a first choice and Decoy as second. Largely because I can't always source Owner. For jigheads, assists and worming hooks, I tend to opt for Decoy first.

I buy barbless when I can or snap of the barbs when I can't. I went barbless years ago and never noticed any difference in hook up rates. One difference between Japanese and European or North American lure hooks that I've noticed is that the barbs do tend to snap off on Japanese hooks whilst they mostly flatten when I have to buy none-Japanese.

Owner seem the sharpest to me, retain their point and last a lot longer than most hooks I've tried over the years. I always change the trebles when I buy North American plugs.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Lure fishing hooks

Post by Olly »

I have found doubles as used on salmon tube flies can be fitted on lures, plugs especially. I think Owners make the best.

I have used Owner hooks, singles, for many years for carp, barbel, chub, etc for a very long time!

Storm in a Teacup
Minnow

Re: Lure fishing hooks

Post by Storm in a Teacup »

Owner hooks for my lures, the shop I frequent always has a good supply and I have always found the reliable.

Some of the hooks you get on new lures can be awful! I always change them before use.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”