Drennan Double Strength

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Drennan Double Strength

Post by Olly »

Are there 2 Drennan Supplex lines? Mono and Fluoro?

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Yes, there is.....

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

After a decade away in the 1990s, I came back to coarse fishing with bait via lure fishing (sea and fresh water) so I default to using fluorocarbon for hook lengths and leaders. Some of the best Japanese ones (Sunline is readily available in the UK) are miles ahead of pre-stretched mono and European/US fluorocarbon. You need to choose and tie your knot with care though.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Maxima is amazing line - used it for many years and it has never let me down. I had my PB Wye carp (16lb 12) at Bishops Meadow on 2lb Maxima. OK the fish just went round in circles for twenty minutes but I still had to lift it through 12 foot of flood water to get it over the net. Yes I have a photo!
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Don't forget that preston reflo stuff is deliberately understated in dia. So to get a true comparison you need to keep this in mind.
Not saying its a bad line. But measure it and see for yourself. Stroft on the other hand is bang on the dia.

Storm in a Teacup
Minnow

Post by Storm in a Teacup »

Love maxima for general fishing I have found it very abrasion resistant. DS is a lot better that it used to be (it used to snap while tying the knot) but I would only ever consider it for hook lengths as it has no stretch or abrasion resistance.

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

Beresford wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:33 pm Dreadful stuff. I wouldn't risk fishing with it and am amazed it's still sold. I tried it for both trout fishing and coarse fishing. As noted above it has no resilience at all and has utterly woeful knot strength.
Agree.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

I used to call this stuff Drennan Half Strength after losing several good fish on it. I'm surprised it's still on the market when you think how many fish are trailing lengths of this line around - not a good advert for angling!
If I want a fine hook length I opt for Preston Reflo but you still have to be careful with this stuff and I try not to put shot on it. I use a short hook length straight off a micro swivel.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Reflo is good but don't use it if there's eels in the water. Their little teeth cut through it like butter. While barbel fishing I lost quite a few of what I thought were good barbel or chub on trout pellets with Reflo line, then I luckily managed to catch an eel hooked in the jaw, and realised I had been losing big eels. The rod would bend over and then nothing, and when reeled in the line had been cut just above the hook. That was several years back and since then I use other lines as a hook link.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

I always use drennan floatfish but now they don't do a 2lb size so l have now got some Bayer Perlon,at 2.1 lb ,I will be trying it in June?if the bans are lifted.I hope this Perlon is as good as floatfish ,it is slightly cheaper ,I had a bad spool of Maxima so I avoid it now.Reelmaker

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”