reel line

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Bjp
Chub

reel line

Post by Bjp »

After fishing monday and catching 2 cru's and a nice tench with a dozen pristine roach thrown in I had another day at the local pond today and struggled to be honest. The main problem is getting my main line to sink.

Because fishing with a sunk cane rod tip under the surface is not a good idea you have the annoyance known as drag and it really does you no favours when your fishing light for cru's and the like.

I have for some time used power pro on my pin because this pond has stacks of bloody carp knocking on towards 20lb and you have to fish about 6lb hooklength if you are going to stand a chance of landing them so power pro in its low diameter to strength ratio suited me. I fish 6lb 12oz 0.17 on the pin and 5lb 14oz 0.15 hook links or even 4lb12oz 0.13 diameter as I had to resort to today to get any bites.

It worked as I did land 2 cru's and a 12lb 10oz leather ( not one scale to be seen) and some more lovely roach but I could not get the main line to stay under the surface so all day it was a battle, constantly mending the line and re-casting (and the wind was not that bad at all really) wish I had a pound for every one I made.

So I am looking for a new main line I still though want to use the same hook lengths as they seem just right for me and this water trouble is any other 8lb main lines are like barge rope compared to the power. I could go down to 6lb but dont think 2 oz is enough leeway between main line and hook length on this pond just today i saw a float being towed around because somebody did not use their brains when rigging up.

I have tried the washing up liquid trick and it dont work on this line so if anyone has any dodges I am all ears

regards

Bjp :Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: reel line

Post by Olly »

Fullers Earth? Xink fly sinkant? Mucilin Quick Sink? Clay? Loads to choose from - but Maxima is a 'sinker' .

I have used a shot - very small - above the float up to 3ft or less if it is easier to cast.

I find with Crus you may have to go very light and forgo any carp hooked.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Stroft GTM is thin for it's breaking strain and I find it sinks well after degreasing.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Use a no.8 about a foot above the float, and the rod tip as low as possible about an inch off the surface.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Try a back shot mate

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

sorry i forgot to mention i did try a back shot and that seemed to drag the float back towards me very quickly ( no 6 i think it was) i then resorted to fishing slightly overdepth with a bigger tell tail shot holding bottom now this did work to a degree but did drag the float down under the surface and whilst trying that trick i saw no bites at all. maybe it was just one of those days i did have the problem monday as well but did not seem as bad

anyway thank you for your ideas i will try them and see what happens

regards

bjp :Hat:

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

Actually this is one of my bug bears with this water , because a few years ago the banks were under water and nearly stopped the lake from opening that season the work parties have built the swims up well above the water level on platforms which does make float fishing difficult, most of them fish method feeder and pole in the matches so does not bother them but in a lot of swims it is quite hard to fish a float on a running line just to get close to the water you have to point your rod way down at an angle.

regards

bjp :Hat:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

What size and type of float are you using? I'd consider a different float before using different line. With 8lb mainline one's float needs to match to counteract the drift. Something like a 6 to 8BB bodied waggler of at least 8" might suffice, and then make sure most of the shot is anchored on the bottom.
Last edited by Santiago on Wed May 24, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Can you not have the rod in two rod rests just a few inches to the side of the platform- with the front rod rest much lower than the rear one.
Also when loading your line on to the reel wrap a damp clean cloth with fairy liquid on it around the line, so the line becomes coated in a very small amount of the liquid as you wind it on. I used to do this a lot back in the 1980's when using a sliding float to fish in depths to over 20 feet on a deep claypit where there was nearly always a lot of drag. It worked perfectly.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Knowing the water concerned I can sympathise Bernie, as you are so high above the water there. You might try the back shot idea, as suggested by MA, I use one frequently.

Another idea is to try fluoro main line but beware..it really does sink.......it'll sink right down to the deck and you actually have to keep a tight line between rod tip and float to keep it up! And that can drag your hook back towards you.

Not so helpful on a windy day......but it's a nicely sheltered venue.

Berkeley Vanish or Vanish Gold or Drennan Supplex Fluorocarbon are OK but watch your knots....fluoro seems to make them come undone, but since you'll probably only have a figure of eight loop on the end it shouldn't be a problem

Up there for an evening session soon.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”