Anyone use Braid

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
ExeAngler
Chub

Anyone use Braid

Post by ExeAngler »

Halfnoon Gentlemen,

I used braid around 16 years ago for Bream/Skimmer fishing on the river Weaver but gave it up after having a lot of hook pulls with the Bream and Skimmers soft mouths. However, I am thinking of giving it ago again for Lure fishing and some carp fishing. Does another use Braid on the forum? If so what would they recommend, as I used to use 6lb test from vale royal angling, but not sure if you can even get that now.

Also, is it ok to use with a Cane or Glass rod?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Aitch
Pike

Re: Anyone use Braid

Post by Aitch »

I used to use braid years ago but I found more and more waters were banning it's use, so I reverted back to mono... I think that to use braid with older rods you'd need to replace the older soft chromed/agate rings with the harder, more modern types....
(I use braid for drop-shot (10lb) and lure work (20lb) though but only with modern rods :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

You need a soft rod for bream!

Yes I have & do use braid but it is the rod rings that can be affected by it, so lined hard rings rather than steel as found on most cane rods. I do not use braid on cane but others on here do so.

I use Power Pro and Berkley Fireline, occasionally Drennan. I work on the diameter rather than B/S.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Nope. Never have, never will. Catch plenty of fish on mono and don't see how braid will increase that or improve the enjoyment.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Marc wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:49 pm Nope. Never have, never will. Catch plenty of fish on mono and don't see how braid will increase that or improve the enjoyment.
Yup! Sums it up nicely :tea:

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

never ever use braid on traditional chrome rings,far too soft and will cut through them in no time at all

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I only use it for ultra lite lure fishing on a modern rod. I think it's 12lb bs. It has several advantages over mono which leads to catching many more fish. It has no stretch so one feels the slightest take (not detectable with mono) and the thinner diameter really helps with getting small plugs to the depth required much quicker.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I usually use braid for floater fishing for carp for the simple reason that it gives be a more direct contact and it floats, so no Mucilin required. I use it for drop shot fishing for perch as you can feel every pluck as Santiago says. I sometimes use it in heavier breaking strains for my pike/zander fishing.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

As Bob & Santiago, floater, drop shotting, lure, pike & zander. And as and when Drennan micro braid....

JAA

Post by JAA »

Berkeley Fireline in 8lb for trotting, floats, very visible. I put three feet of mono on the end, I use 8lb as I can tie on whatever hook-link I like up to 6lb line.

I use braid hook-links for still-water angling almost all the time. I'v even used short 1" links for surface fishing. I do use cheaper brand braids for backing as well. All of my Cardinal 66 spools are filled with round braids with enough space left over for 100 yards of the 'target' mono. Once set up, I can simply strip the old mono, tie on the new and re-fill. For ever really.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”