Bulk Spools Of Clear Low Breaking Strain Lines?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Bulk Spools Of Clear Low Breaking Strain Lines?

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Tengisgol wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:42 pm It looks like quite a hard line to track down Shaun, where do you buy it from? There is also a P-line Evolution which looks to be in exactly the same packaging. Finally, have you tried any of the other P-line products?
So sorry, I missed the bottom half of your questions, although I do know how, the chub were calling and as the temperature outside my office window was an unbelievable 50 Fahrenheit I had to answer their call with the massive drop in temperatures forecast. I answered between preparing a small flask and a rove around various swims was the perfect work day evening tonic for me. Alas, the chub never turned up, another broken date.

I have used P-Line Halo Fluoro Carbon and it performed as well as any other Fluoro Carbon I have used but I'm far from being a lover of Fluoro Carbon to be fair and rarely ever use it apart from stiff boom sections.

I have also used their Voltage, CX Premium and the Fluoro Clear in mono and co-polymer as well as a couple of their braids. Being so impressed with the Extrusion being so good, I naturally tried most of the range.

The Fluoro Clear is the best long range casting line I have used but like so many other high performance cutting edge lines it has a very short life span. I was needing to replace it every other week and it is simply far too expensive to be doing that. Maximum stretching reduced it's breaking strain dramatically.

So, yes I have used quite a few P-Line main lines but still opt for the Extrusion.

As a final note at one of our British Carp Study Group meetings Terry Eustace (Gold Label Tackle) who was responsible for first making Berkley Big Game available to the U.K. market and latterly his 'Pro' lines (Pro Clear, Pro Gold, pro Distance, pro this that and the other) brought along his line testing machine and invited everyone to bring their preferred lines along for testing. This was obviously going to be a bit of a publicity stunt to show just how good his lines were - which they are. It did back fire a little though when my Extrusion beat everything else in the room hands down in actual diameter against actual breaking strain combined with abrasion resistance.

I mentioned earlier about having to replace the Fluoro Clear every other week. It was during a period fishing what seemed an inland sea at times and due to the features way out in the pit, the carp rarely ventured within reasonable casting ranges. It was no place for traditional gear but a superb place to help my work along in the angling trade testing tackle. There was a no shock leader rule in place so it was always a case of trying to achieve maximum breaking strain for minimum diameter to rule out casting crack offs. Suffice to say the line would be almost taken to breaking strain each cast (severely stretched) and the first weekend I used the Fluoro Clear I thought I had found the perfect line. The second week I was cracking off. I replaced it and it was perfect again, but the following week, crack off's. The Extrusion I used for a full season one year when I was struggling to source more. It was subjected to the same punishment week in and week out and coped with everything I asked it to do.

With my 37 year involvement in the tackle trade I have tested literally hundreds of different lines. The problem with the Fluoro Clear is actually quite a common problem with a lot of lines. A quick breaking strain test will reveal good results. A sustained pressure test or a stretch to the maximum test will reveal a lot more. I was first aware of this over 35 years ago when I found I hooked more carp on Racine Tortue as I did on the then common Maxima,or Sylcast. This was the beginning of me realising that if you want to gain a few edges then any old line would not do. The problem I soon found with Racine though was that if I became snagged and had to pull for a break (maximum stretch) the line that had been stretched was then useless and had lost a considerable amount of it's original breaking strain.

That was the start of my obsession with line testing to find both the ones I got more chances with as well as those that could withstand abuse. I guess stocking around 20 plus different mono's all the time over a 25 year period and regularly bringing new lines in I had the opportunity that most others didn't without having to buy multiple spools.

One final thing - yes I know it's dragging on but very relevant to everyone on this forum. Because line 'A' is exceptional in one breaking strain, it isn't necessarily exceptional in another and as much as I have sung the praises of the P-Line Extrusion I use the 0.15 (4.06 lb). 0.20 (6.04 lb), 0.23 (7.12 lb), 0.28 (12.08 lb), 0.30 (14 lb), 0.35 (19.75 lb) and 0.41 mm (I never tested it for breaking strain I simply use it when I need greater diameter for abrasion resistance) but I won't use the 0.25 mm. The breaking strains stated are my own test results using a Palomar knot so will be slightly less than you see on the spool which is the breaking strain with no knot.

Most lines have a rogue breaking strain that doesn't follow the trend, I have seen this with almost every line I have ever tested.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

I have found this all very interesting...and was expecting some mild flak for my recommendation of good old Maxima.

It's simple really, if and when I come across another line more reliable than Maxima, I will certainly use it. Yes, I know it sinks, no bad thing when ledgering and a distinct advantage when fishing a waggler, but surely I can't be the only one using it for trotting without problems?

I used to use Sylcast for all my carping and Bayer perlon for float fishing...until, as a serviceman,in the mid seventies, I was posted to Germany. The only way then to buy decent tackle was to mail order it from England. This was how I first came across Maxima, it was fairly expensive compared with other lines, but came in huge bulk spools inside nice clear plastic pots with a good lid. We used to wrap the spools of unused line with foil scrounged from the cookhouse and out of the light it stayed in perfect condition for years.

It's strange really, this personal preference we all seem to have for certain lines and hooks. I admit to having tried all sorts of line over the years, including braid and some of the other 'wonder' lines...and every time, without exception, have returned to Maxima.

Good thread, enjoying it.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Well said Paul. Shaun thanks for your contribution, always good to read your thoughts on "tackle matters" , maybe it's time I did try some other lines? Trouble is you get used too and trust a certain product, I did once try Drennan double strength, found it almost unusable and quickly ran back to Sensor. :Hat:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Paul D wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:34 pm Well said Paul. Shaun thanks for your contribution, always good to read your thoughts on "tackle matters" , maybe it's time I did try some other lines? Trouble is you get used too and trust a certain product, I did once try Drennan double strength, found it almost unusable and quickly ran back to Sensor. :Hat:
If it hasn't broken - I guess pun intended...

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Shaun, you've spent a huge amount of time on your posts here and I just wanted to say how grateful I am because it has been very informative and thought-provoking. Thank-you.

I also fall into the Maxima only bracket (for three decades+ now). Two things have affected my thinking lately. The first was having identified that I was getting complacent with my bait. After a fine bag of roach on flake the bites dropped off. A switch to punch bread (I wouldn't normally have bothered to make a change) brought five good fish in five casts.

The second has been reading Jim Baxter's waggler book; so many great anglers were all looking for a slight edge and were each determined that fine fishing and minute changes can make a big difference. It must be the case that I can improve my presentation and my line is a big part of that, so I am going to give this a lot more thought before my next session.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Paul D wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:34 pm Well said Paul. Shaun thanks for your contribution, always good to read your thoughts on "tackle matters" , maybe it's time I did try some other lines? Trouble is you get used too and trust a certain product, I did once try Drennan double strength, found it almost unusable and quickly ran back to Sensor. :Hat:
Without a doubt the worst line I have ever tried. Breaks seemingly randomly. Hate the stuff.

That said I do like Drennan carp and silverfish mono. Cheap as chips and really rather good. It's done well in lots of reviews I've read too which shows those more informed than myself think its good. I wish they sold it in bulk spools!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

When Drennan Double Strength (DDS) it was first introduced there was some adverse reaction to it and Peter Drennan advised that it was not being used correctly. The theory was (and still is) that you should work on the diameter of the line you would normally use and in that way you could fish a little finer, but with a higher breaking strain. It was never intender by Peter Drennan, that you would replace a 6lb normal line with 6lb DDS.
The idea of using DDS, was to replace 6lb normal line with say 8lb DDS or slightly higher and then you fish finer, but stronger line. Examples given are hypothetical, but you get what I mean.....
Last edited by Michael on Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

During 2014-15 I used Orvis fluorocarbon in 5lb but at £25 for 100m I resented every tippet change. I liked the line but I found the knots strangled themselves even though wet when tightened and snuggled up. I had to repeat the knots a couple of times to get it right. I changed to Stroft GTM 4lb and I have had no problems with it. I've just bought a new 100m spool for this season, £5 including postage :-)

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I tried Fluorocarbon a few times but found it kept breaking, I read that the knots I was using were wrong so tried recommended knots and it was still unreliable. How can you use a line that you have no confidence in, I cant so binned it. No doubt there are better lines around now but as someone said If it aint broke, don't fix it so I am very loathe to give up my beloved Maxima which ahs served me so well for my recreational fishing. It is the same with line for the sea, I love Sylcast as a main line with Greased weasel for my shock leader then amnesia for snoods/hook lengths. So I don't mind a change. Brown sensor is one I am going to try this year..but I said that last year and didn't get around to it.
I would also like to say thanks to shaun and others like him who take the time to test and evaluate items of tackle and offer their experiences for us all to consider in the choices we make, without dedicated people like this our knowledge of new and maybe advanced products would not come to our attention. I am a bit of a stick in the mud but do look and listen to what others say and recommend and take that into consideration when I make a decision, as we all should.
Last edited by Reedling on Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

Tengisgol wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:42 pm Shaun, you've spent a huge amount of time on your posts here and I just wanted to say how grateful I am because it has been very informative and thought-provoking. Thank-you.
Hear, Hear - thanks Shaun
Russ

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”