Bulk Spools Of Clear Low Breaking Strain Lines?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Bulk Spools Of Clear Low Breaking Strain Lines?

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Shaun Harrison wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:30 pm
GregF wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:10 pm
Shaun Harrison wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:46 am
On a underwater magazine magazine shoot Rob Hughes complained to me that he couldn't swim down my line to my rig as he was struggling to see it. My line was certainly not clear.

What kind of line was that Shaun? It sounds great.

P-Line Extrusion - it's a Copolymer line I have used for almost all of my angling for the past 10 years now. The only other dive he did where he told me he'd struggled to see the line was with Jamie Clossick - guess what he was using?

Yes, the same.

It's light grey in colour on the bank but as I touched upon above you need to look at lines below the surface to really have your eyes opened. The colour can often look very different. one of the biggest problems with fluorocarbon is that it appears to attract more sediment than normal nylon and copolymer lines so does indeed stand out more clearly once it has been used a bit.

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Sounds good, I'll check it out. Thanks :Hat:
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

I’ve heard that about the refractive index. The trouble I found was that it appeared to conduct light in bright sunshine. As I mentioned, almost like a laser beam.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

It looks like quite a hard line to track down Shaun, where do you buy it from? There is also a P-line Evolution which looks to be in exactly the same packaging. Finally, have you tried any of the other P-line products?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Evolution and Extrusion are the same line - Fox stopped them using the word Evolution in the U.K. I import mine for myself and friends, it's the only way I can justify the £30 to get it here. I wait until around 15 spools are required and then charge everyone £2 towards the shipping and bank charges. I keep doing it as I've not yet found another line I prefer.
2,000 m spools of 0.35 mm are usually £30 and 2,000 of 0.30 mm are £26 with the added bits. I use it down to 0.18 mm, the lower the diameter the cheaper it gets.
The longevity, abrasion resistance and castability (the last two you don't usually get together) are all superb.
More expensive than many lines but...

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Over the past 35 years or so since I stopped using sylcast/Maxima [carp fishing]. I've used Berkley XL [extra limp] which has done me proud. Can't always get the bulk spools in the UK so get them via my friends when they go to the States. Colour means nothing to me but softness does. Caught many a specimen fish on it. Barbel over 14 using 3 lb line wasn't even a problem. Suggest you may wish to try a spool or two
Mike

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

I have purchased some Fladen Vantage clear mono in 6 lb. Fladen in 6 lb (0.22) is actually lower in diamiter than Sensor in 6 lb (0.24).

I have also bought Okuma Ultramax clear co-polymer in 4 lb. This comes in 0.20 at 4 lb which is the same as Sensor. I've never knowingly used co-polymer lines before.

What's the difference in the way a mono and copolymer lines fish, if any?

I will report back what I think about each line when they arrive and I have used them.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

Apparently mullet are spooked by clear mono and anglers have more success using the darker mono, food for thought.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Shaun Harrison wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:21 pm Evolution and Extrusion are the same line - Fox stopped them using the word Evolution in the U.K. I import mine for myself and friends, it's the only way I can justify the £30 to get it here. I wait until around 15 spools are required and then charge everyone £2 towards the shipping and bank charges. I keep doing it as I've not yet found another line I prefer.
2,000 m spools of 0.35 mm are usually £30 and 2,000 of 0.30 mm are £26 with the added bits. I use it down to 0.18 mm, the lower the diameter the cheaper it gets.
The longevity, abrasion resistance and castability (the last two you don't usually get together) are all superb.
More expensive than many lines but...
Please allow one question here Shaun:

I fished with a Stroft GTM, which also is a Copolymer line, on my Chapman 500 and 4.5' pin. When the line was wet it just didn't slip right through the agate tip guide anymore during the fight with a fish. Rather like if you'd touch a ballon with your finger and slip over. Making a similar sound even. After that experience I switched back to my regular line. Ever felt something similar?
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Last edited by Michael on Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”