Bulk Spools Of Clear Low Breaking Strain Lines?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Bulk Spools Of Clear Low Breaking Strain Lines?

Post by Dave Burr »

Shaun's a really lovely bloke and very helpful...... but. Come on mate, where can I buy this P-line stuff? I can't find a bulk spool in anything under 11lb bs. My usual line - ProGold- seems to have disappeared into the ether and I need to re-spool about forty before the season starts!

Anybody?

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

MaggotDrowner wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:45 pm
Paul D wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:34 pm Well said Paul. Shaun thanks for your contribution, always good to read your thoughts on "tackle matters" , maybe it's time I did try some other lines? Trouble is you get used too and trust a certain product, I did once try Drennan double strength, found it almost unusable and quickly ran back to Sensor. :Hat:
Without a doubt the worst line I have ever tried. Breaks seemingly randomly. Hate the stuff.

That said I do like Drennan carp and silverfish mono. Cheap as chips and really rather good. It's done well in lots of reviews I've read too which shows those more informed than myself think its good. I wish they sold it in bulk spools!
I don't know if the following helps or sheds light? but I didn't link it, I apologise......

When Drennan Double Strength (DDS) was first introduced there was some adverse reaction to it and Peter Drennan advised that it was not being used correctly.
The theory was (and presumably still is) you should work on the diameter of the line you would normally use and in that way you could fish a little finer, but with a higher breaking strain. It was never intender by Peter Drennan, that you would replace a 6lb normal line with 6lb DDS.
It was to replace 6lb normal line with 8lb DDS or slightly higher and then you would fish finer, but with a stronger line. Example weights given are hypothetical, but you get what I mean.....

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Dave Burr wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:37 am Shaun's a really lovely bloke and very helpful...... but. Come on mate, where can I buy this P-line stuff? I can't find a bulk spool in anything under 11lb bs. My usual line - ProGold- seems to have disappeared into the ether and I need to re-spool about forty before the season starts!

Anybody?
Unfortunately I have only just shipped a box of 15 x 2,000 m spools in Dave or else I'd have happily added whatever you wanted. I tend to place a couple of orders a year for those who ask me for it. I don't shout about it as I do it as a favour, which if I added up all the final calls and emails confirming everyone still wants it, plus the post office visits to post from here it probably costs me money, but it does allow me to continue to use what I like.

As I mentioned before if I order 15 spools then it works out around £2 a spool to get it into the country. Happy to pop your name on a future list but can never be sure when the 15 spools will be reached next.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Michael wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:21 am
Paul D wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:34 pm Well said Paul. Shaun thanks for your contribution, always good to read your thoughts on "tackle matters" , maybe it's time I did try some other lines? Trouble is you get used too and trust a certain product, I did once try Drennan double strength, found it almost unusable and quickly ran back to Sensor. :Hat:
Without a doubt the worst line I have ever tried. Breaks seemingly randomly. Hate the stuff.

That said I do like Drennan carp and silverfish mono. Cheap as chips and really rather good. It's done well in lots of reviews I've read too which shows those more informed than myself think its good. I wish they sold it in bulk spools!
I don't know if the following helps or sheds light? but I didn't link it, I apologise......

When Drennan Double Strength (DDS) was first introduced there was some adverse reaction to it and Peter Drennan advised that it was not being used correctly.
The theory was (and presumably still is) you should work on the diameter of the line you would normally use and in that way you could fish a little finer, but with a higher breaking strain. It was never intender by Peter Drennan, that you would replace a 6lb normal line with 6lb DDS.
It was to replace 6lb normal line with 8lb DDS or slightly higher and then you would fish finer, but with a stronger line. Example weights given are hypothetical, but you get what I mean.....
Having sold Double strength for many years my conclusions were that it was okay as a hook link or a leader taking benefit of the fine diameter but if you wanted to put it through your rod guides then purchase by the diameter you would usually use and just enjoy the extra breaking strain it offered which would probably no be as it said on the spool - like most other lines.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Shaun Harrison wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:56 am
Dave Burr wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:37 am Shaun's a really lovely bloke and very helpful...... but. Come on mate, where can I buy this P-line stuff? I can't find a bulk spool in anything under 11lb bs. My usual line - ProGold- seems to have disappeared into the ether and I need to re-spool about forty before the season starts!

Anybody?
Unfortunately I have only just shipped a box of 15 x 2,000 m spools in Dave or else I'd have happily added whatever you wanted. I tend to place a couple of orders a year for those who ask me for it. I don't shout about it as I do it as a favour, which if I added up all the final calls and emails confirming everyone still wants it, plus the post office visits to post from here it probably costs me money, but it does allow me to continue to use what I like.

As I mentioned before if I order 15 spools then it works out around £2 a spool to get it into the country. Happy to pop your name on a future list but can never be sure when the 15 spools will be reached next.
See, I said you were a lovely bloke :Happy: Do you ship it in from the States per chance? I'm going to the land of Mickey Mouse in the summer and may just happen to pop into one of their little tackle shops :whistle:

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Shaun Harrison wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:58 am
Michael wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:21 am

Having sold Double strength for many years my conclusions were that it was okay as a hook link or a leader taking benefit of the fine diameter but if you wanted to put it through your rod guides then purchase by the diameter you would usually use and just enjoy the extra breaking strain it offered which would probably no be as it said on the spool - like most other lines.
Funnily enough Shaun, after all this discussion this is one Drennan line I`ve never used, nor will I be likely to use!

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Dave Burr wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:42 pm

Anybody?

See, I said you were a lovely bloke :Happy: Do you ship it in from the States per chance? I'm going to the land of Mickey Mouse in the summer and may just happen to pop into one of their little tackle shops :whistle:
No, I get it from Italy but it is readily available in the States.

When Ron Key saw what it was standing up to with a large fish I had hooked in Texas in February leaving me in a stalemate situation for over an hour (it was taking line but I was only ever able to get it back to the same snag) he went into a Bass pro shop, brought some and has never used anything else since either. He catches the odd fish ;-)

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Shaun Harrison wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:03 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:42 pm

Anybody?

No, I get it from Italy but it is readily available in the States.

When Ron Key saw what it was standing up to with a large fish I had hooked in Texas in February leaving me in a stalemate situation for over an hour (it was taking line but I was only ever able to get it back to the same snag) he went into a Bass pro shop, brought some and has never used anything else since either. He catches the odd fish ;-)
Cheers Shaun. I've sent off for some 11lb and will see how I get on in Florida. If I struggle to get any I'll be on your next order list mate :Hat:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Is that the 0.25 mm?

PM being written now.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”