Bulk Spools Of Clear Low Breaking Strain Lines?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Bulk Spools Of Clear Low Breaking Strain Lines?

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I now use Daiwa Sensor Clear for my lines in breaking strains of 8 and 10 lb and I quite like it. The fact it comes in such huge spools of around 1,000M + for less than £9 is amazing value and is massively convenient. No working out if the spool holds enough to fill the reels spool to the lip. Of course it does! And there's loads left for the next reel, without the wastage of having the odd 25 M of line left on a spool and having to buy another for the next reel.

However Daiwa don't seem to make the clear mono in breaking strains of less than 8 lb. I have tried the regular, darker mono in 6lb and I don't like it. I much prefer a clear coloured line.

So my question is what clear lines exist that come in bulk spools in lower breaking strains of around 6, and 4 lb? Would you recommend them?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Marc
Sea Trout

Re: Bulk Spools Of Clear Low Breaking Strain Lines?

Post by Marc »

Sensor definitely does come in low breaking strain bulk spools, Jack. I'm sat looking at a 6 lb and 4 lb as I type. I used the 4 lb one just yesterday on an abu 40.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Oh hang on. Clear. Clear is the word I should have looked at there. Can't help there. Carry on. As you were. :Chuckle:
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

For lower breaking strains I've started using Drennan suplex, I love Drennan float fish but as far as I can tell it's been discontinued. I agree Daiwa Sensor is lovely line, reliable, tough and cheap.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I tried Drennan Suplex as a Floatfish line replacement - it was rubbish and deteriorated and twisted intolerably so I went on to Daiwa Sensor brown in 3lb: 4lb: 6lb: 8lb:-------------------- etc. Even 20lb for my river piking.

For non-trotting line - waggler/feeder - I have tried Maxima which I also use for hook lengths.

Okuma does 4 lb clear (£3.95 for 3000m!!!) and 6 lb - Fladen does 6 lb clear - neither of which I have used!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Just found one called - SYNTRA - that goes from 2lb upwards. Never heard of it!

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Don't get too pulled in by colour alone Maggot Drowner. Some lines absorb the light and some bounce it off of themselves. I remember being rather shocked to see a nice subtle green line that I was using looking like a silver wire thread under water - really standing out.

On a underwater magazine magazine shoot Rob Hughes complained to me that he couldn't swim down my line to my rig as he was struggling to see it. My line was certainly not clear. He usually manages to follow the line easily through mid water - particularly fluoro carbon lines.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Paul D wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:45 pm For lower breaking strains I've started using Drennan suplex, I love Drennan float fish but as far as I can tell it's been discontinued. I agree Daiwa Sensor is lovely line, reliable, tough and cheap.
Drennan Float fish has been replaced by the newer version of Drennan Float Fish, called not unsurprisingly..... Drennan Float Fish :Hahaha: , I`ve found its just as good, as it was before. I too use Diawa Sensor bulk spools, bloody marvellous and thoroughly good value.....

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Shaun Harrison wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:46 am
On a underwater magazine magazine shoot Rob Hughes complained to me that he couldn't swim down my line to my rig as he was struggling to see it. My line was certainly not clear.

What kind of line was that Shaun? It sounds great.

Shaun Harrison wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:46 am He usually manages to follow the line easily through mid water - particularly fluoro carbon lines.
I tried some fluorocarbon some years ago after hearing claims that it was 'near invisible'. I used it on a bright sunny day and it looked like a laser-beam going down through the water :shocked: I since learned (from Rob Hughes' experiments) that it's only hard to spot when laying close to the lakebed. It's a b**ger to cast too. The 1000 yards I bought didn't go to waste though, I now have an endless supply of hooklink material.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

GregF wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:10 pm
Shaun Harrison wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:46 am
On a underwater magazine magazine shoot Rob Hughes complained to me that he couldn't swim down my line to my rig as he was struggling to see it. My line was certainly not clear.

What kind of line was that Shaun? It sounds great.

P-Line Extrusion - it's a Copolymer line I have used for almost all of my angling for the past 10 years now. The only other dive he did where he told me he'd struggled to see the line was with Jamie Clossick - guess what he was using?

Yes, the same.

It's light grey in colour on the bank but as I touched upon above you need to look at lines below the surface to really have your eyes opened. The colour can often look very different. one of the biggest problems with fluorocarbon is that it appears to attract more sediment than normal nylon and copolymer lines so does indeed stand out more clearly once it has been used a bit.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”