The fluted float and others

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Re: The fluted float and others

Post by Chris Bettis »

Interesting Post Nobby! I have been aware of fluted floats since the l960s but always believed that the were invented by Albert Smalley. Your research has been very interesting in showing otherwise. Very painstaking investigation has thrown light on the subject and we must thank you for that.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It just goes to show what the old tackle shop owners were always saying...there's nothing new in angling, just new ways of selling it.......

Like others, I've got me vanes and me flutes confused here a few times.

I was too scared to risk those rare 'mystery' floats in the water, but Richard C looked at one and sent me a whole set he'd made! Used to good effect at the Bridge Pool on the HA in 2014:

That's his prototype on the left by the tin of silver paint. A few weeks later a whole set arrived in a float case........Richard's floats are truly fluted, like the description in the Tom Watson catalogue and I fished the prototype downstream in an upstream wind just as they were designed for. I'd imagine the Bridge Pool, so near the sea, often has just such a wind. No monsters, but I did land the prettiest perch I have ever beheld.

JAA

Post by JAA »

Nobby wrote: A JAA Belglow copy and three by me made to his method.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”