What colour floats do you prefer?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
ExeAngler
Chub

Re: What colour floats do you prefer?

Post by ExeAngler »

Yellow in most conditions. In white water I like to use black painted tips.

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

Red or black. Surprising how often black is the most visible.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I tend to use orange or yellow strike indicators more than I do traditional floats. For the way I fish these give me a better indication of what's going on down below and when best to strike. When I've been fishing I've heard other angler's talking to each other and wondering what I'm up to, how I'm fishing and what kind of strange looking rod I'm using.' All very amusing. I guess these days if you fish for carp and aren't sat behind a pair of buzzers you're 'weird'. If I do use a traditional style float it'll have an orange tip.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

AverageAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AverageAngler »

My dad always said a milky blue tip was very easy to see. Maybe one day I will make some up and try them in his memory. I suspect they would be intended to show up against a dark reflection.
Rich

JAA

Post by JAA »

Accepting everyone's eyes are different, I find the best all round colour is fluorescent pink, followed by fluorescent orange. Fluorescent green next and then scarlet (pretty, but not so good), then yellow.

Blue tipped quills are surprisingly good though.

The most visible floats have a white band of about a quarter the length of the coloured tip, about a quarter of the way down, with two thin black bands to edge the white.

Comme ca

Last edited by JAA on Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oswy
Ruffe

Post by Oswy »

Black is my sensible answer, but there's just something about an old red or orange float when it dips under.

N9nty
Roach

Post by N9nty »

Orange for me.

John
The older I get the better I was.

Scorpio
Stickleback

Post by Scorpio »

I prefer a red tip for almost all of my fishing with perhaps the occasional orange one mixed in there purely by chance but have since tried a black tip on a flat calm mill lake in bright sunshine and was amazed how well it registered.....really was easy to spot. I'll be looking to get some more made in black.

By the way I'm loving the cured quills above, they look great - I'm not sure how they are made but would it be feasible to install an isotope within the actual tip for the staying later than planned / just one more cast scenarios.

Scorpio
Stickleback

Post by Scorpio »

I prefer a red tip for almost all of my fishing with perhaps the occasional orange one mixed in there purely by chance but have since tried a black tip on a flat calm mill lake in bright sunshine and was amazed how well it registered.....really was easy to spot. I'll be looking to get some more made in black.

By the way I'm loving the cured quills above, they look great - I'm not sure how they are made but would it be feasible to install an isotope within the actual tip for the staying later than planned / just one more cast scenarios.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

For high banks and with heavy foliage and diffused light levels I've often found that Fluorescent yellow is more visible,

when fishing big expanse of open waters with sunlight and a breezy chop on the water I've then found black to stand out far better than other normal colours,
More often than not I end up by using a black marker pen to black out such wagglers :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”