What colour floats do you prefer?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Re: What colour floats do you prefer?

Post by Match Aerial »

Firebird wrote:Yes I think it probably is. So long ago since I bought it I've forgotten.
Its a good idea firebird as it will not increase the thickness of the tip like a length of silicon rubber does.
You can get it in different colours as well, does it say on ok mate ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19MMX-20M-PVC ... y0UkYjDePQ

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

black is beautiful
Bobby

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Yellow is by far the best for me in most situations with my colourbilnd eyes. It was a revelation to start using yellow when I began making my own floats and ditched the plastic. I started by making one or two in yellow to do something different. These days 95% of my floats have a yellow tip. To me yellow stands out well against almost everything. I only use red when fishing against the reflections of very bright white clouds. I suspect black would be even better here but I have never made any black floats.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

MaggotDrowner wrote:Yellow is by far the best for me in most situations with my colourbilnd eyes. It was a revelation to start using yellow when I began making my own floats and ditched the plastic. I started by making one or two in yellow to do something different. These days 95% of my floats have a yellow tip. To me yellow stands out well against almost everything. I only use red when fishing against the reflections of very bright white clouds. I suspect black would be even better here but I have never made any black floats.
Try it MD, ---- You'll find black is amazing against the white/grey background of a stillwater in daylight :eyebrow:
niceroach

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

i like red tops

Mark_N
Bleak

Post by Mark_N »

After this discussion I decided to investigate how Black floats perform for me vs my traditional orange. I decided to convert a few of my former orange tips to Black as an experiment, I couldn't resist a little splash of Orange though in a couple.

I will report back on how they do next time I am out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are 2 types of people in this world.... those that "get" fishing .... and those that don't

Mark_N
Bleak

Post by Mark_N »

A Progress report.

I gave one of the quills with the orange dot a go at the weekend. I guess it wasn't a complete test as there was a little bit of orange still, but it was It was easy to see and as testament accounted for a few small carp and tench.

These will definitely be staying in the tackle box, next time I'll try an all black one.

Thanks for the suggestion Gentlemen :Thumb:
There are 2 types of people in this world.... those that "get" fishing .... and those that don't

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

Black is my prefered colour ,i can see that regardless of conditions
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I use a Waggler float like your right hand example Mark_N but it is black all the way down the stem, if you just have a black tip the lift bites do not show so well. A totally black stem really shows the lift bite well... a nice black, white, black, white stem is so lovely to watch rising, you may forget to strike in the excitement!

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I've been making some small duckers with a long white stem then multi coloured tip in yellow and orange. Hopefully I should see them in most lights but it never matters much for me as I'm a margin angler primarily.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”