The story of the Fluted Float

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Bob Brookes
Zander

The story of the Fluted Float

Post by Bob Brookes »

Back in 2006 our own Mike Wilson carried out an investigation into the development of the fluted float on the BFW site. I was in a position to add to the knowledge & wrote an article to record what I knew. Mike suggested that I should post it this site as it would prove interesting to members.

I was a little reticent to relist it as this story is to appear in the forthcoming book written by Jeff Della Mura, Hooked on Floats. I have spoken to Jeff & he is quite happy that I should go ahead, so here it is!

Three gentlemen were sitting round a kitchen table in Nottingham in the late 50’s/early 60’s talking fishing, as we tend to do. These friends were well known anglers in the area and indeed further a field.

• Major Albert Smalley was once described by Dick Walker as the best float maker & designer in the world. He died suddenly in 1964.
• Jim Sharp was probably the finest angler ever to fish the Trent and was very a successful match angler. He was the manager of Tom Watson’s fishing shop in Nottingham, more of that later. Jim has since passed away.
• Ken Clower is still very much with us and still regularly fishes. He can still fish the pants of most of us mere mortals, although now in his 86th year. Ken caught the Trent best barbel at 15.02 just 3 days short of his 80th birthday. He used to fish the Hampshire Avon and indeed wrote a super little book on that famous river. He was at Mapperley Reservoir when Dick Walker and the others formed the Carp Catchers Club. It is from Ken that I obtained this information.

Ken explained that he was having problems controlling his float on a pacey river particularly with a strong upstream wind. The conversation that followed was like a brainstorming session in modern ‘management speak’.
Ken- ‘What I need is a propeller on my float’
Jim- ‘Like a vane on a pike float that enables you to drift the bait?’
Ken- ‘Yes, but underwater’
Albert said that he thought he may have the solution and went to his workshop, emerging some time later with his first fluted float. This float is the 5th one in the first photo. As you can see, it is quite crudely fashioned and the flutes are not straight but slightly spiral, though I do not suggest this was intentional.

The 1st picture shows floats hand made by Albert Smalley. As well as the fluted float he also pioneered elderberry pith in the making of floats.
From the left:-
1. A length of pith ready for float making
2. A float part made with a cane stem & sealed
3&4. Avon style floats by Albert Smalley
5. The 1st elderberry pith fluted float.
6. A development with 6 flutes that was rejected as not being successful
7. A 4 flute version with the flutes of balsa between pith ends. Again this was rejected as no being effective.
8&9. 2 floats similar to those that later were produced commercially.

It is possible that others came up with the same, or similar, design in parallel development. I would suggest that Albert Smalley was the first though I cannot be certain of the year.

The 2nd picture shows some of the commercial examples that were made available in the 60’s.

As I said earlier, Jim Sharp worked at Tom Watson’s fishing tackle shop. Here is an extract from the 1967/68 catalogue.

The fluted float was originally made to Jim Sharp’s specification (by the late Albert Smalley) as he felt the need for a float with greater stability than the conventional ‘Avon’ type (with round barrel) when fishing such fast waters as the Avon & the Test.

The fluted float was found to give the following marked advantages over conventional trotting floats:-
• Resistance to an upstream wind with the ability to swim closer to the pace of the current.
• Conform better to varying speeds of current.
• Minimum float disturbance when ‘mending’ the line.
• Resistance to line drag with less tendency for the float to be pulled across the stream.
• Far more natural presentation of the hook bait at all times.

So there we are, designed by committee made by Albert Smalley.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: The story of the Fluted Float

Post by Mark »

What a lovely article Bob, a real pleasure to read, thank you for sharing that with us. :hat:

Bob you said that Jim Sharp worked at Tom Watson’s fishing tackle shop. Was Tom any relation to Bill Watson writer of the Floatmakers Manual book.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Hi Mark,
I don't think there is any relationship between the two gentlemen.
I am glad that you enjoyed the article. I was lucky to get the story first hand from someone that was there & to own these first, very special, floats.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Very nice post Bob. I've only recently found this site but pieces like this are making it a favourite.

Pete

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

A most interesting article and nice to see some photos of the Major's work. Dick Walker in a letter (Feb '66) states "The advantage of the fluted float in long trotting is that it offers considerably increased grip on the water and this makes mending the line much easier". Further he said "When one is trotting an Avon swim from a point opposite to where one is sitting to another point 40 or 50 yards downstream, with line passing over fast water, slack water and eddies with perhaps the further influence of wind, a fluted float can make all the difference between a big catch and a meagre one."
Jerry
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

George387
Crucian Carp

Post by George387 »

I still make fluted floats by hand but its time consuming and not many are made throughout a year, Mike Wilson gratefully sent me his instructions a few years back which I still have somewhere if anyone was interested I would pass them to anyone still interested.
Brown Trout maybe Beautiful But Grayling are Gorgeous. "Lets Tackle Cancer" Supporter
The Flee & Float

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

George

If you can find the photographic tutorial I put on BFW your welcome to post it here.

Mike

George387
Crucian Carp

Post by George387 »

Mike Wilson wrote:George

If you can find the photographic tutorial I put on BFW your welcome to post it here.

Mike
Hi Mike, Nice to see you again after all this time, I uploaded the 2 tutorials you sent me a few years back for a forum member today who contacted me by PM, I'm unsure if they were on BFW but these are the ones you sent me:

I hope your well, tight lines
George
Brown Trout maybe Beautiful But Grayling are Gorgeous. "Lets Tackle Cancer" Supporter
The Flee & Float

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Lovely George. :hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Or you can let Mother Nature do the fiddly work: http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... 70&p=13527
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”