WB CLARKE MATCH TEAM LINE

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

WB CLARKE MATCH TEAM LINE

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I have bought two spools of this line today, in 3.6 lb and 6.6 lb for going onto my Flick Em and Trudex. I have to say that so far (I've only loaded it onto my reels) I am very impressed. Its a lovely clear colour, seems very stretchy and feels very fine. In fact the 4.6lb Match Team line is only 0.14 mm, whereas Drennan Series 7 4.6 lb line is 0.18 mm. 0.18 mm also happens to be the diameter of the match Team 6.6 lb line.

That means a line that Match Team has the breaking strain of 6.6 lb with the same diameter of Series 7 4.6 lb line!

I'll have to go fishing with it before I can form a real opinion on it. It will be interesting to see if it is as good in use and as hard-wearing as I have found Series 7 to be. I wonder is the 6.6 lb Match team will handle me throwing a 2oz lead about as well as the Series 7 line does. If it is as hard-wearing and can cope throwing a lead around I think I may have found a new fishing line but beating Series 7 will take some doing for me.

Anyone rate this line highly or dislike it?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Aitch
Pike

Re: WB CLARKE MATCH TEAM LINE

Post by Aitch »

IIRC it used to be known as 'Silstar Match Team' its good stuff... I still use it for making pole rigs.. although its getting a bit hard to come by now... I also use Daiwa Hyper Sensor... another low diameter line which is incredibly tough
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I'm surprised you say its 'stretchy' Jack as most of these lines are only thin diameter by pre-stretching. I've used the Silstar Match Team line successfully when trotting but I don't know that I'd use it on the lead, certainly not on a river like the Wye where it's snaggy. Any sudden pull is likely to cause a break as pre-stretched line can be brittle. Soft rod, gentle clutch is my advice mate.

Tight lines :Thumb:

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

it is a pre-stretched line but not to the N'th degree that some others are... it has a bit of give in it.... as I said, I use it for pole rigs and when cushioned by the elastic it's fine...

If you want a low diameter reel line look at Daiwa Hyper sensor. I have it on my Carp reels and my feeder and float reels in 5-6-12 &15lb strengths :Thumb:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

I would urge caution Jack, 2 ounce leads and pre-stretched 6.6lb line sounds risky, I posted before about my experience of these type of lines (Drennan double strength in my case). :Hat:

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I have just tested it in the garden, casting a lead. Although it hasn't broken it has damaged the line to the point where the line now feels rough to the touch, so has likely made it less strong.

I'll take the six pound stuff off and leave the 4lb for float fishing and trotting and see how we get on.

There is some stretch to it though. Definitely more than double strength.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

If my line is going to break - on a fish or a snag - I prefer to use a lighter trace. After all the fish on many occasions will be looking at your bait rather than 4m away - although I don't include carp in that statement!

I gave up on Drennan Double Strength - nothing double about it's strength!

If a t/c is 1lb, the line strength can be about 5lb and the casting weight about 1oz. So a 2oz lead needs 10lb and potentially a 2lb test curve rod.
R. Walker Esq's theory - not mine. Nowadays with 3.5lb t/c "C" rod the casting weight is up to 4oz plus!

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Totally agree with everything you've said Olly :Hat:

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I have been casting a 2 oz lead on 6 lb Drennan Series 7 line (and 6lb Daiwa Sensor) for years and never experienced any issues such as damage to the line and landed some good fish on it too, proving it is still solid. But I don't think this 6 lb Match Team line is up to the job of casting big weights from the little test I did in my garden.

Thanks everyone for the information.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”