monofilament for Centrepins

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Penninelad
Arctic Char

Re: monofilament for Centrepins

Post by Penninelad »

I've used Maxima for the last 40 years,although I did us Sylcast when you could get it in black.Drennan Supplex is unbeatable for fly line leaders and having tried all the more expensive alternatives I reverted to using it all the time.
Mark Davies

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

One that hasn't been mentioned is Berkley XWR. It's of similar diameter to breaking strain as Silstar Machine and it comes in 200 yard spools for around £5. I find the 6lb bs just about perfect for trotting, although stick float fishers might prefer the size down which is around 4.5lb bs.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

with mono you go with what you trust ,although most lines would do .diawa sensor is a nuetral line and quite good floating (can be improved with a dose of Mr sheen) and can be made too sink easily too .and is cheap and as good as any .

i when using mono ,mostly use ultima flo-cast (hollow floating line) or ultima grey mist (~mist grey~) on my reels ,ulima flo-cast because when it came out seemed the perfect floating line ,and was given away in a promotion. so i got some voucers and stocked up .I gave it a go and it was good ,very good ,so good i stuck with it ,still got it ten years on i just take it off and store it between trips on old line spools .it does have its drawbacks ,in extreame cold it does split apart like a peeled banana (but due to global warming ,this is a rare occurance in the uk) .the other problem is its lowest b/s is 4lbs ,again not a reel problem as i fish with hooklinks mostly

i did have a cause once to go lighter in b/s so i got me some mist grey (grey mist?) another ultima line ,a copolymer line that floats very well ,i was drawn to it ,mostley because it was cheap (i didn't want too spend a lot on a line i'd only use occationally ,this line comes in breaking strains as low as .76 lbs and comes in incliments in odd numbers like 1.2lbs etc and as a copolymer line has less stretch than normal monopolymer lines (standard lines) turned out too be a really good line .

all my lines are quite old now ,i don't buy lines very often ,i like to get my money's worth out of them ,when not being used i store them in a dark dry cool place (storage draw) i test them before a trip and often flip them over when respooling ,i start be only putting around 70m on my centrepins and cf's (often some of these ultima lines come on spools with 150m or 300m so i can spool more than one reel .i do have a special tool for counting out the line to length (ok ,so its a piece of laminate floring with two rows of several pins set 1m apart & i just wind the line onto the pins back & forth zig zaggy style) .i also limit the lines exposure to harmful UV rays by not going fishing very often or only when it rains.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

"i also limit the lines exposure to harmful UV rays by not going fishing very often or only when it rains."

Right, we've found the rain-god!

Now, dear chap, if you'd be so kind as to post when you intend to fish, the rest of us can plan accordingly, and fish in between your forays , safe in the knowledge that our bamboos' frail varnish will not be challenged, nor shall we need to lug brollies about...
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes indeed, your calendar for this year would be most useful Steve! :Hat:

:laugh:

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

i plan to try and go fishing in the easter bank holidays ,as i've booked that saturday off work (to spread the bank holidays out a bit more) just got to think of someware to goto that might have a bit of cover ,just in case.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Maxima for me too.
niceroach

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

And me.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I do like modern lines and used Stroft for about ten years and loved it until I tried Shimano lines, expensive yes but their Silk Shock in the lower strengths is simply superb if you want a low diameter line. I think it was really meant for use as hook lengths but is available in 125 meter spools so perfect for filling a Mitchell match spool or a 308/408 spool. The 50 meter spools are ideal for a trotting reel like a Rapidex or Trudex..
I also use their triple layer Technium line in .20mm / 8lb bs for all my carp fishing and it really is unbelievable strength for diameter (b.s. is actually nearer 10 lbs at the knot). A tin of this stuff is about £40.00 but will last years if kept in the tin and holds enough line to spool up many reels.

Wal.

Floppy Hat

Post by Floppy Hat »

Maxima. My 91 year old father still finds it amusing that I have a label on one of hs apple trees which I measured as 50metres from his garden shed (he's got a big garden). This I use to measure my line out for my 'pins.

He used to course fish in the 50s and 60s. I still use his whole cane and glassfibre tip rod. His Intrepid Supreme was canabalised to provide parts with another to make a good one, which is in use. He swapped to sea fishing in the mid 60s.

He took me fishing in the early 70s when I started by piscatorial adventures. We got a season ticket to fish the Suffolk Stour at Higham (now private) for the princely sum of 50p. He said he might as well get one for Dedham Mill pool on the Stour (pronounced as in lure or poor, not hour) at the same time as that was only 50p too. I caught a few fat little perch on big old lobworms. Magic stuff.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”